Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Handkerchief Rag Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/handkerchief-rag-quilt-t250115.html)

MargeD 07-16-2014 07:33 AM

It's beautiful and what a wonderful way to showcase old handkerchiefs. You have a great collection there. I remember a time when women always had a handkerchief in her purse or pocket. I'm dating myself here, but I received many unique and beautiful handkerchiefs when I graduated from high school, as that was a common gift to give back then.

mandyrose 07-16-2014 07:41 AM

so pretty and dainty I love it

maggie_1936 07-16-2014 07:47 AM

please do a tut on your creation

rural01 07-16-2014 09:40 AM

I love, love, love that quilt. Nice job!

CAS49OR 07-16-2014 10:49 AM

This is really pretty! I wish hankies were easier to find. When I do find them they are expensive.

FurzaFlyin 07-16-2014 12:06 PM

Did you wash and dry the flannel before sewing with it? I know it shrinks a lot. Have you washed the quilt yet?

twinkie 07-16-2014 03:44 PM

Thanks so much for sharing. Do you mind if we copy the idea? I just love it.

matraina 07-16-2014 07:08 PM

This is so pretty and delicate.

yobrosew 07-17-2014 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Geneva51 (Post 6803504)
Your quilt is beautiful!!! Wish I could find old handkerchiefs to do the same.

I have not been to the Amish Stores around here in a few years but they use to have beautiful hankies for about two bucks apiece. They are not super old fashion quality but look a lot like the ones used in this rag quilt. My memory has me thinking they may have been thin, though, and if they still have the hankies, I will fuse mine first to iron-on, thin cotton interfacing. I will make a visit in the next couple of weeks and see if these unique variety stores still sell them and post here and then send off some to whoever wants them. No upcharges; just cost and shipping which can send after you receive them. Also, every so often you will find hankies at Dollar Tree!

yobrosew 07-17-2014 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR (Post 6803997)
This is really pretty! I wish hankies were easier to find. When I do find them they are expensive.

Offer, I have not been to the Amish Stores around here in a few years but they use to have beautiful hankies for about two bucks apiece. They are not super old fashion quality but look a lot like the ones used in this rag quilt. My memory has me thinking they may have been thin, though, and if they still have the hankies, I will fuse mine first to iron-on, thin cotton interfacing. I will make a visit in the next couple of weeks and see if these unique variety stores still sell them and post here and then send off some to whoever wants them. No upcharges; just cost and shipping which can send after you receive them. Also, every so often you will find hankies at Dollar Tree!