Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Hawaiian breadfruit wip (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/hawaiian-breadfruit-wip-t203550.html)

tealfalcon 10-18-2012 06:58 AM

Hawaiian breadfruit wip

2 Attachment(s)
I was born in Hawaii and my father is a native hawaiian so that makes me part hawaiian...i have always loved hawaiian quilts and have always wanted to make one. I have a pattern for a large quilt that a friend sent me that lives in Hawaii but before i tackled that i wanted to make something small but still in the same style so i picked out this breadfruit pattern out of a book i have and will make this into a pillow for my bed. I appliqued this yesterday morning then did the quilting last night while watching tv...still have quite a bit of quilting to go but its getting there....i will also add some quilting on the breadfruit applique....anyone who has done hawaiian applique please feel free to critique or give advice thanks so much
blessings Tisha

dunngriffith 10-18-2012 07:03 AM

That is beautiful! You do nice work.

DebraK 10-18-2012 07:09 AM

Very nice. I always wondered what that particular design was called.

quiltstringz 10-18-2012 07:10 AM

I've never done this before but I can certainly critique with the best of them. It is absolutely WONDERFUL.

feline fanatic 10-18-2012 07:26 AM

It looks wonderful. Your needle turn applique is amazing and your quilting stitches look great. Now for the constructive critique you asked for....

I have always heard that traditonal hawaiian applique quilts, the echo quilting is always one finger width apart. Your's looks much closer than that, giving a look of traditional stippling (not meander but true tradtional stipple quilting) as opposed to echoing. Once you get all the quilting done, you will see you won't have the look of echoing in your quilting, it will look like dense stippling all around the applique and the shape of your breadfruit applique will not be obviously repeated as a more widely spaced echo quilt would do. I wouldn't change what you have now, just use this info for your future bedsize one or if you truly want the visual, echo the remaining lines further apart and you will immediatly see what I mean.

I would suggest if you are going for the true tradtional look of Hawaiian quilts space your echo lines of quilting further apart. Much less work and I think you will be happier with the end result. .

francie yuhas 10-18-2012 07:27 AM

Looks great..I would probably quilt the breadfruit but just enough to enhance the design. Nice fabric choice!

tealfalcon 10-18-2012 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 5594571)
It looks wonderful. Your needle turn applique is amazing and your quilting stitches look great. Now for the constructive critique you asked for....

I have always heard that traditonal hawaiian applique quilts, the echo quilting is always one finger width apart. Your's looks much closer than that, giving a look of traditional stippling (not meander but true tradtional stipple quilting) as opposed to echoing. Once you get all the quilting done, you will see you won't have the look of echoing in your quilting, it will look like dense stippling all around the applique and the shape of your breadfruit applique will not be obviously repeated as a more widely spaced echo quilt would do. I wouldn't change what you have now, just use this info for your future bedsize one or if you truly want the visual, echo the remaining lines further apart and you will immediatly see what I mean.

I would suggest if you are going for the true tradtional look of Hawaiian quilts space your echo lines of quilting further apart. Much less work and I think you will be happier with the end result. .

i was wondering about that...i think its just habit for me bc i like lots of quilting....but the book did say traditional is 1/2 inch to 1 inch apart on the quilting...your right i think i will be much happier with them farther apart....i need to break my tons of quilting mode for this prjoject...thanks for the advice...and the nice comments

crafty pat 10-18-2012 07:33 AM

It is beautiful,such good work. I think you are ready for the big quilt.

JudyTheSewer 10-18-2012 07:37 AM

Your project is lovely. It makes me want to start one! Your craftsmanship is great.

needles3thread 10-18-2012 07:39 AM

I love it. good job.