Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   'Heart of Glass' - QAYG wall-hanging, no hand sewing! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/heart-glass-qayg-wall-hanging-no-hand-sewing-t36049.html)

k3n 02-05-2010 02:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone. I recently made a batik wall hanging using QAYG, the method where strips are stitched down by hand on the back. I googled around for methods of machine stitching but there were none that seemed satisfactory to me. Many of them showed stitiching in the sashing on the front and I didn't like that.

So I hit on the idea of using Wundaweb, (I think you US ppl know it as Steam a Seam), to hold a folded strip of binding in place on the back. I then SITD on the front either side of the black sashing to hold it firmly in place. I was so pleased that it worked! If anyone would like further info on how I did it, I did take some progress pics. :-D

showing black sashing and SITD - I did this block by block then row by row
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33667[/ATTACH]

The strips wundaweb'ed then stitched on the back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33668[/ATTACH]

Esqmommy 02-05-2010 02:27 AM

Totally fascinating. I'd love to see the photos of the process, and a whole photo of the back. How cool is that Kathryn!! Makes me want to try it. Would you say it was quicker, or the same as regular top/sandwich/quilt method?

k3n 02-05-2010 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Totally fascinating. I'd love to see the photos of the process, and a whole photo of the back. How cool is that Kathryn!! Makes me want to try it. Would you say it was quicker, or the same as regular top/sandwich/quilt method?

Quicker - this took a day. ;) I'll take a whole photo of the back and post in a bit. Maybe if there's enough interest, I could post the process as a tute. :-D

rootyr 02-05-2010 02:44 AM

Wow, very nice!

Katrine 02-05-2010 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by k3n

Originally Posted by Esqmommy

Quicker - this took a day. ;) I'll take a whole photo of the back and post in a bit. Maybe if there's enough interest, I could post the process as a tute. :-D

Yes, please need a tute!

Katrine 02-05-2010 03:19 AM

And I also meant to say how cool it is, and how neat, and just lovely!

k3n 02-05-2010 03:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the whole back to keep you going... :-D

ranger 02-05-2010 03:42 AM

That is such a cool quilt. Great job.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-05-2010 04:31 AM

Cute wall hanging! And I'm all in favor for a tutorial on anything that lets me quilt in smaller sections and avoids hand sewing. My machine hates bigger stuff and my brain hates the hand sewing.

tlrnhi 02-05-2010 05:31 AM

Great job!
You sure are a busy sewer!