Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Help with Blocks made by Grandma (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/help-blocks-made-grandma-t99787.html)

luvnquilt 02-14-2011 12:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I've recently come into possesion of these cute blocks that I believe were made by my Grandma. She's 93 and afflicted with Alzheimer's so I can't actually verify that she made them. I was hoping to get a few suggestions for a pattern to make with them. There are 12 blocks about 8" square.
I've bought some red, pink and off-white fabric with heart theme and looking for suggestions that have minimal piecing. Thanks in advance

Monstookie 02-14-2011 12:03 PM

I personally would put a nice sashing around each block (perhaps black if you want to really make the red hearts stand out)....then I would find a really nice black and red print floral to make a large outside border.

Vanuatu Jill 02-14-2011 12:07 PM

Yes, a nice shashing (maybe red, since all the hearts are red and white) and a red print border-do you have any of the red and white scraps???? If so, you could use them to make a scrappy binding. The black sashing would look lovely too and give it a bit more modern look.

SueDor 02-14-2011 12:08 PM

Stashing around the blocks. If you need more blocks, alternate the blocks with red or white blocks.(your call)

Yosamitesa 02-14-2011 12:09 PM

Definately!!! Frame out each square and then sew together. Add either a single or double border (depending on the size you want) in a complimentary color and your done!!! Good luck!!!

litacats 02-14-2011 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by SueDor
Stashing around the blocks. If you need more blocks, alternate the blocks with red or white blocks.(your call)

that was similar to my thoughts on it with a nice red/print border to finish it off

Kitsapquilter 02-14-2011 01:47 PM

Like others said, I would use your red fabric for sashing between the blocks then maybe a narrow border with the pink and if you have heart themed print use it for an outer border. Bind with red or pink depending on your outer border. Glad you got those blocks. That is so neat that you have something like that your Grandma did.

Ramona Byrd 02-14-2011 03:24 PM

When finished, take it and show it to her. It just might bring her back for a few moments. I used to take plants to my DH when he was in the nursing home to identify, and sometimes his mind would snap back and he'd give me the latin name, common name and how to grow it. He was always pleased to see plants at any time. He was a nurseryman.

Maybe your Grandma will remember these. Maybe not. But it is a bit of your family's history. Be sure to put a label on it for future generations.

Tussymussy 02-14-2011 03:26 PM

I agree.... sashing would really emphasis each block.

Dragonfly Nana 02-14-2011 03:30 PM

What a treasure you have found. I agree with the others that sashing around the blocks and then a heart themed borde would really show them off.