Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Help! I can't bring myself to cut it up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/help-i-cant-bring-myself-cut-up-t211333.html)

MamaBear61 01-18-2013 03:27 PM

Those fabrics work wonderfully together and like others have said use a light and dark neutral for the "framing".

wolph33 01-18-2013 03:36 PM

I can see why you do not want to cut it smaller.it is beautiful.

CarlyAnnQuilts 01-18-2013 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by momto5 (Post 5795757)
...so at my house, it's all fair game! Cut it if it requires!

love that and need to remember it!

That just made me remember... A few years back I made Gram a family quilt. Each of her daughters (3), son in laws, sisters, grand kids, great grand kids, etc. picked a fabric that represented them and I sewed up a simple little block quilt for her. During that process I got my aunts square in the mail and when I opened it was shocked to realize it was part of her wedding dress, that my Grandmother had made and beaded by hand nearly 40 years before. Gram so loved that it was in her quilt, so Cut it if it requires is right! You only live once. :)

CarlyAnnQuilts 01-18-2013 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]388978[/ATTACH] Grams favorite square. :)

mighty 01-18-2013 04:03 PM

I think it looks really pretty just the way you have it!

terri bb 01-18-2013 04:26 PM

yup gotta say this is a winner. great idea!

Originally Posted by Tweety2911 (Post 5795696)
Ditto here! This was my first thought as I read your post. Beautiful fabric and a white border with black binding will leave you with wonderful memories of your DGM!

MimiBug123 01-18-2013 04:27 PM

I can certainly understand your attachment! Some of my material is for petting only, lol! I think what you've done is very nice and I agree with a white/cream border and black binding. I can't wait to see it quilted.

Diane007 01-18-2013 04:30 PM

very nice fabric. Make something that you can cuddle up in

beatys9 01-18-2013 04:30 PM

It is beautiful fabric & I totally get not wanting to cut it smaller... and yes, I also have 'fabric seperation anxiety' issues when cutting or parting with some of my stash. You mean this is not considered normal :) ?

BizzieLizzie 01-20-2013 03:20 AM

No, I would not cut the fabric up. I love the way you have put the fabrics together and I think that it works very well. I have read everyone's post and there has been so much mention of a cream border which I think is quite nice but considering the combination you have, would stand out quite a lot especially if it is a thick border. A black border will more or less blend into the quilt as there is a fair amount of black in there already but could make it a little dark. A combination of both would be interesting. I think that it is really your preference as to what sort of effect you want. I will be looking out for your finished quilt to see what you have decided to do. Thank you for the opportunity to offer you my thoughts on this already lovely combination of fabrics. :)

P.S. Looking at your arrangement again, you could choose to split the red and black stripe fabric and insert a thin cream strip between them and join the 2 flowered strips to either side. That way if you choose to use a cream border that could help balance it a little perhaps? Just a thought. Best wishes. :)