Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Help!!! I don't know how to finish this vintage Lone Star... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/help-i-dont-know-how-finish-vintage-lone-star-t51037.html)

maporch 06-23-2010 04:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A few days, okay... weeks, OKAY... months! ago one of my mom's friends sent me an unfinished, hand-pieced quilt top that her mother began a long time ago and never finished. She has several of her mother's quilts and would love to be able to use this quilt top as well, so she asked me to finish it for her. It's a gorgeous, scrappy Lone Star.

Problem: I don't know how to find the measurements for the setting pieces. Does anyone know how I can measure accurately to be able to finish the quilt top? I've never done a Lone Star before, and so far all I can think of to do is to lay the top over some paper and trace a template for the empty spaces. I would love a better solution!

And after that, I'll need ideas for colors to finish up the top. :) I've attached pictures below.

Moonpi 06-23-2010 05:30 PM

The low-tech way would be to lay out masking tape in a square around it, measure, and add seam allowances. If you give the measurements, there are math whizzes that could give you a precise measurement.

maporch 06-23-2010 05:31 PM

I love that idea! I'll try it, thanks so much!!!

franie 06-23-2010 05:34 PM

Very pretty. Yes there is a way to do setting triangles with the math--but right now I am brain dead. Make them a little bigger than calls for and trim maybe. I have a paper someplace that tells me how to do setting triangles. Also do you have a Quilt Calc--it's on there too.

ktbb 06-23-2010 07:45 PM

Why not emphasize the original star by appliqueing it to a background fabric with batting under it...bias strips, a small flange or even covered cording around the edge of the star perhaps, then full batting under the ground fabric and use quilting to highlight it further...won't have to mess with triangles that way and places more emphasis on the original star.

raptureready 06-23-2010 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
Why not emphasize the original star by appliqueing it to a background fabric with batting under it...bias strips, a small flange or even covered cording around the edge of the star perhaps, then full batting under the ground fabric and use quilting to highlight it further...won't have to mess with triangles that way and places more emphasis on the original star.

I have a Lone Star that someone tried to applique onto a background fabric. It's very hard to get them flat and straight. I'm going to have to take it off and start over. So if you do it this way be very careful.

Ditter43 06-23-2010 09:08 PM

It looks like in order to make the quilt rectangular, you will need 4 square units and 4 triangles. I think if you measure the star from tip to bottom of the point and add 1/2" that would give you the length of one side of your square. For the triangle pieces I'm sure someone here remembers how much to add to the square so it can be cut into and fit the angle. HOPE I DIDN'T CONFUSE YOU EVEN MORE! :wink:

butterflywing 06-24-2010 06:08 PM

i think if you try to measure accurately you'll be in for a bad surprise. after laying folded for a long time, it may be ripply and out of square. but with all those bias edges i would be afraid to tackle pressing it. i'd do what moonpi said and also hand pat it as flat as possible. slip a large piece of paper under the open triangle and follow the outlines the missing shapes. add your seam allowances. and pray.
you may find it's easier to do by hand. or, if hand work gives you the creeps, then at least hand baste. hand stitching gives the best control and lets you ease where you need to.

craftybear 06-24-2010 06:10 PM

beautiful, thanks for sharing!

walen 06-24-2010 06:24 PM

The star has beautiful colors. I would also applique it. Before I did, I would pin it to a star shape and press it true, sort of like how you would go about blocking a crochet piece.