Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   How to quilt border of grandson's alphabet quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/how-quilt-border-grandsons-alphabet-quilt-t95999.html)

newestnana 02-01-2011 07:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My grandson's first birthday is coming soon...made him this animal alphabet quilt starting with a panel that I cut up and put back together with sashing and a few extra squares (and his name). I spent a ton of time constructing an applique of Blue (of Blue's Clues) :-)

The main part of the top is quilted (I put letters in the alphabet boxes, although they are hard to see). I'm happy with the sashing design but don't know how to quilt the teal borders. Any suggestions? [You can still see some chalk marks on the quilt.]

Also, the backing is the brown/turquoise batik, but I'm not sure whether to use it for the binding or use the dark brown. Your thoughts?

Thanks for looking!

Owen's 1st b-day quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]139324[/ATTACH]

Blue
[ATTACH=CONFIG]139325[/ATTACH]

Backing fabric for binding?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]139326[/ATTACH]

franie 02-01-2011 07:38 PM

MArcia, I would do some animals and loops and such in the border. Mix it up--copy some of the animals in the Quilt. It is a darling quilt. Love the colors too.

moms_pantry 02-01-2011 07:39 PM

Very cute.

marilynr 02-01-2011 07:50 PM

Yes to what Franie said & love the backing fabric. Yes, use it for the binding too. Darling quilt.
Marilyn

Ps 150 02-01-2011 07:54 PM

I was thinking of making my girls some quilts for their birthdays this year and in the borders I was planning on quilting their handprints. Just trace his handprint on a thicker piece of paper or a thin piece of cardboard or even quilting template plastic. Then, draw around it with chalk and FMQ quilt. He'll never be this small again but this way, his handprint will be immortalized in the quilt. Just a thought, but that's what I'd do. Good luck! :D

T-Bones mom 02-01-2011 08:58 PM

That is a gorgeous quilt!!!!!

moonwork42029 02-01-2011 09:27 PM

What a terrific quilt!

I was thinking of continuing the ABC all around the edges or maybe some numbers outlined too?

Whatever you come up with will be wonderfully loved for years to come.

salmonsweet 02-02-2011 04:51 AM

Wonderful!!

I would so quilt letters in the borders as well. They'll be easier to see than in the blocks, and a great tactile way for him to explore the alphabet.

ckcowl 02-02-2011 05:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
wow, so cute :thumbup:
you could write words from all of the alphabet in the borders...or just repeat all of the letters, or write the 'ABC SONG' around the quilt

abc pre-school quilt (finished-yea)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]146171[/ATTACH]

MCarleneM 02-02-2011 05:55 AM

I like this idea!

Originally Posted by Ps 150
I was thinking of making my girls some quilts for their birthdays this year and in the borders I was planning on quilting their handprints. Just trace his handprint on a thicker piece of paper or a thin piece of cardboard or even quilting template plastic. Then, draw around it with chalk and FMQ quilt. He'll never be this small again but this way, his handprint will be immortalized in the quilt. Just a thought, but that's what I'd do. Good luck! :D