Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   How would you quilt this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/how-would-you-quilt-t139084.html)

natalieg 07-20-2011 03:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Would you hand quilt it, or machine quilt it? I have a mid-arm and always thought it needed handquilted, but now I am beginning to think that it might look nice machine quilted.

I am not even sure what to quilt on it....more stars???

Almost a full view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229471[/ATTACH]

Close up of the blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229472[/ATTACH]

Close up of the border
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229473[/ATTACH]

Fabaddict 07-20-2011 03:21 PM

since I don't do any hand work I don't absolutely have to, I would do it on my machine. Starts would be nice, X's in the 9 patches maybe.

candlequilter 07-20-2011 03:33 PM

Hi, great job on the quilt top - it looks lovely. When I see as much light open areas as you have there I always think of a pattern that would be highlighted nicely there. There are so many wonderful pantograph design out there for edge to edge or just blocks that I would be tempted to do one of those. Or there are also alot of stencils out there to do "pounce" with that could really set off those great spaces. Have you ever tried a pounce pad with fine ground cinnamon in it for the light colored fabrics. I went to a longarming class and the instructor showed me that she has a separate pounce pad filled with cinnamon for pouncing on light fabric. After she pounced it and quilted that area the cinnamon brushes off very easily.

Hope this helps.

RenaB 07-20-2011 03:34 PM

Beautiful quilt. I would keep it simple with a stitch in the ditch hand quilting.

buckeyed 07-20-2011 03:35 PM

Looks good, I am just learning so I am not much help!!

FayZ 07-20-2011 03:35 PM

No idea. But I really like it.I did a single block once on the machine and it looked pretty good. I meandered.Sorry about the spelling. My Mom would have stitched in the ditch.Please post finished quilt.I would love to see what you decided.FayZ

Xstitshmom 07-20-2011 03:36 PM

This is a beautiful quilt. I always have problems with "how to quilt" a quilt when I finish a top.

The cinnamon suggestion is a great idea. Thanks.

charismah 07-20-2011 03:37 PM

I think I would echo the stars...then in the areas that don't have stars..I would quilt stars and then echo those. I would cross hatch those 9 patches. I think you could stipple in the border..or do a stipple with stars and it would be pretty. Very nice top.

jdiane318 07-20-2011 03:39 PM

I like your quilt. I believe you can easily machine using stars in your big empty blocks, echo quilt your stars in the big blocks and small stars in the small white blocks of your 9-patch blocks. Just an idea.

quilttiludrop 07-20-2011 04:08 PM

Or you could put flowers (of any size combination or variation in the large white squares). If you want your flowers to resemble stars, make them have 5 points! :-)