Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I am going to make a "Practice Small Quilt" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-am-going-make-%22practice-small-quilt%22-t33846.html)

beginnerquilter 01-11-2010 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone

I have decided thanks to my friend to make a "Practice Quilt" first before I actually start making a bigger one. It is going to be a small Quilt and I mean Small.

I am using the material that I already have. I cut out Triangles and than I'm sewing them together to make Blocks. The colors won't exactly match up with one another but that is okay too. I may end up buying some material through Connecting Friends too.

Now granted this is not going to be a Perfect Quilt since this is the first time I have ever made one.

I need to make one first as a practice piece before I make a 12 x 12 or 24 x 24 size quilt. The only part that I'm having trouble with is my cutting due to the material wants to move even when I have my hands on the material. I'm going have to practice that more I guess.

I took pictures of my blocks so I am going to upload them to my Blog in a little bit and I will post them on here too.

Now granted my sewing isn't the best neither is my cutting at this time so please forgive me. This is just a practice one okay. In Due Time I'm sure I will get much better.

I think I'm going to put a strip in between each set of blocks too.

Thanks for reading this and for looking at my Practice Squares.

vjengels 01-11-2010 10:40 AM

Hi Beginner,
I don't see anything wrong with your blocks that a little pressing, and squaring up won't correct, it's the same for everyone.
Good Job!

littlehud 01-11-2010 10:53 AM

I think they look fine. Square them up and they will be great. Keep it up.

tlrnhi 01-11-2010 10:55 AM

Looks great to me!
Like the others said...pressing and squaring and they will look fine.
I also have that fabric or I did have it. Might have given it away, not sure.

beginnerquilter 01-11-2010 12:28 PM

Thanks everyone for your encouragement...this really helps me especially since I'm just learning to quilt.

I'll keep practicing...LOL....

Quilter7x 01-11-2010 12:30 PM

Be careful working with the bias edges as they tend to stretch. You're very smart to start with fabric in your own stash rather than buying some. Good luck - and Connecting Threads is my favorite online quilt shop!

beginnerquilter 01-11-2010 01:21 PM

Thank you for that tip....

I need to cut out more squares yet and I'm just using what I have from my own Stash...the colors won't match too well but who cares..it's just a practice quilt.

I have enough material to use for my squares but when it comes to the backing/binding than I will need to buy more material.

This is going to be a small one.

I've been practicing cutting out material and squaring everything up. I find that cutting out squares is much easier for me than cutting out triangles but I don't have a small Triangle ruler yet either...I have a big one but not a small one. I need to get more rulers.

I love cutting out squares...they are fun to cut out and you can do so much with them too.

I love being creative and coming up with my own ideas.

I'll keep posting pictures of my "Practice Quilt" as I put it together and cut out the squares, iron them and so forth.

Thanks for all of your help so far. It is very much appreciative...I will have lots of questions as I make this "Practice Quilt".

Quilter7x 01-12-2010 08:08 AM

Some rectangular rulers have diagonal lines you can use to make triangles.

You have wonderful enthusiasm. Can't wait to see more pictures of your project!

beginnerquilter 01-12-2010 07:03 PM

Thank you :)

Lisanne 01-12-2010 07:30 PM

Are you teaching yourself?

I think you might have an easier time if you could see someone demonstrate rotary cutting, maybe at a local quilt shop. They can explain about how length vs. width vs. diagonal has different stretchability even within the same fabric.

Also, it's very helpful to have your fabirc ironed before you sew it, and then after sewing each seam.

If I'm telling you things you're already aware of, sorry. I tried quilting on my own once, long ago. Then I took a short class last summer, and it helped tremendously.