Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I can't believe we finished one! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-cant-believe-we-finished-one-t47001.html)

wesing 05-24-2010 07:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I appreciate all the encouragement and help my QB friends have provided. We have finished a couple of other quilts, but this is the first one we have finished every step ourselves. The only problem is we don't know how to bind. We watched some videos on Youtube and did the best we could. We just wrapped the backing around and tacked it down with a decorative stitch.

I explained the "Galloping Horse Rule" to my wife and she likes it. :lol: I think this one passes. I didn't take pics of the problems, but I would like to ask a couple of things. There are some places where the quilting goes all the way to the edge of the quilt and under the binding, and some places where it stops short. I want to be more careful in the future and try to either make it consistent - either out to the edge of the sandwich our stop a couple of inches before the edge. Does this matter?

On the binding, we decided to fold over the backing since we had so much of it. We understand how to turn corners on the separate binding, but we had some trouble with making the corners look right using the backing as binding. Is there a tutorial somewhere about using the backing as binding?

Thanks again everyone. Hope you enjoy our finished quilt.

Darren

isnthatodd 05-24-2010 07:34 PM

I love the meandering stitch, especially since you did it in blue. Looks like a lovely quilt to me.

erstan947 05-24-2010 07:34 PM

Looks good to me. I love the quilt and the quilting.

Charlee 05-24-2010 07:34 PM

Awesome quilt! Congrats!! :)

When you fold the backing to the front to bind, fold the point of the corner in toward the center of the quilt, and then fold the sides into each other, forming a miter...

Hmmmmmm...does that make sense? :lol:

DebraK 05-24-2010 07:41 PM

You two are so dang cute! I like your quilt. Keep up the good work ;-)

pittsburgpam 05-24-2010 07:53 PM

Nice job!! My grandmother did the binding on all of her quilts that way and that's all I knew of at first.

earthwalker 05-24-2010 07:55 PM

Lovely quilt...very nice work.

wesing 05-24-2010 07:58 PM

Thanks everyone!

Charlee - that's sort of what we did. It's not beautiful, but the Galloping Horse won't notice, right? This quilt is for a baby (now 8 months) in our SS class. We hope they use it to death, so we figure a couple of rough spots won't be noticed after it's been ### on, shut in the car door, drug through the parking lot, and used as tent in the backyard.

Darren

annette1952 05-24-2010 09:28 PM

Very nice quilt. You both did an awesome job.

gaigai 05-24-2010 09:32 PM

It looks great! You two did a wonderful job. The previous explanation about folding the back to make a miter is spot on. It's kind of like folding the gift wrap paper on a box. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!