Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I grabbed up two vintage quilts today! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-grabbed-up-two-vintage-quilts-today-t43685.html)

Rachelcb80 04-23-2010 03:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I made my husband take me to an estate sale this morning because I saw some quilts in a few pictures of the estate items. This was the first time I've gone to anything like that so I was bummed to find a whole line of people waiting to get in before it even opened. I just knew they were all there for those quilts! :P When they opened the doors I filed in with the rest of the people and asked the man at the door where I could find the quilts. He pointed me towards the living room so I hurried in there. A woman was holding one and looking at it when I got in there so I stood aside hoping and praying she'd set it back down. She did so I grabbed up both really fast and ran to pay. :) They weren't a bargain but I liked both of them quite a bit.

I have no idea their history since it was a company running the estate sale. No label on either one. Does anyone have any idea how I might go about dating them? I've looked at Google a little trying to find a guide of some sort, but haven't had any luck.

Also am wondering about the worn edge on the blue one. Do I go about trying to repair it, or do I just let it be and display the quilt as is? It's binded by just folding the back over and that's torn away in the one area pictured below, and worn through in several other places around the edge. I would think if I was going to repair it I would just have to put a whole new binding on it. I don't know that I feel confident enough doing a repair on something special like this so I may just let it be for now.

Edge damage
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6269[/ATTACH]

Quilt number two fabrics
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8231[/ATTACH]

Quilt number one
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12897[/ATTACH]

Quilt number one fabrics
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12983[/ATTACH]

Quilt number two
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12984[/ATTACH]

abonda 04-23-2010 03:53 PM

I don't know but they are beautiful good hunting

erstan947 04-23-2010 03:54 PM

soooo cool

Charlee 04-23-2010 03:55 PM

Ask the estate company if they can have the owner get in touch with you...if not, then take the address to the county courthouse and get the tax records for it...that will at least tell you who owned them...

They're beautiful! :)

Rachelcb80 04-23-2010 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Ask the estate company if they can have the owner get in touch with you...if not, then take the address to the county courthouse and get the tax records for it...that will at least tell you who owned them...

They're beautiful! :)

Oh what a great idea! I never thought about asking the company to have the owner contact me. I will look into that tonight!

amma 04-23-2010 04:13 PM

What beautiful finds!!! You are so lucky :D:D:D

smitty 04-23-2010 04:15 PM

green with envy !! these are worth trying to figure out the pattern. hope I can print them off. love that bubble-gum pink ! Good shopping. our town is garage sale capitol of the world--a treadle this morning for--$400 ! ouch.

isnthatodd 04-23-2010 04:24 PM

On the blue one, I would do a sort of loop tack about every 2 inches to keep the strip from pulling off any more. Use some thread just a little lighter than the blue and only take a couple of stitches. Otherwise, you might accidently snag the loose piece and do a lot more damage. They are both beautiful and you are one fortunate collector!

BKinCO 04-23-2010 04:27 PM

LOVE them, Rachel. Especially the pink one. Let me (us:)) know what you find out about them......and whether or not to fix the blue one.

Candace 04-23-2010 04:29 PM

If it were me, I'd cut off the inch or so of stained and ripped fabric and rebind it. There seems to be a large enough blue border that the stained and ripped part won't be missed. You can try to salvage the blue binding to restitch it, or find another fabric that closely matches.