Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I just bought a vintage Singer!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-just-bought-vintage-singer-t43389.html)

canuckninepatch 04-20-2010 06:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm so excited! I volunteer at a Christian Benefit Shop (thrift shop), and today bought a really neat, old Singer sewing machine. It's beautiful, and now I have to decide whether or not to have someone check it out, oil it, and do whatever is needed so that it will work (actually, the needle goes up and down now, but the plug is rather frayed, and the bobbin is a vibrating spindle bobbin, which I don't know anything about). It's a Singer 127 or 128, and the instruction book has the date Apr. 1921 on it. Would you get it working, or just enjoy the beauty of it in your home? I have two wonderful Janome quilting machines that do everything but talk, and really don't need it to work.

sharon b 04-20-2010 06:06 PM

WOW :mrgreen: If it was me I would get it fixed and play with it a but . She sure is too pretty to just sit around :lol:

erstan947 04-20-2010 06:07 PM

It would be sad to have her sit broken. Have her checked out it may not be too expensive to get her up and running.

sewgull 04-20-2010 06:15 PM

Check instruction book it may have directions on how and where to oil your treasure. Don't rush trying to get the motor to run, take you time, remember she is old. I recently got an old machine to run by using this plan.
Did not have to pay someone to check the machine out.

rhondakp 04-20-2010 06:45 PM

Beautiful!!!!! I would get it fixed and play with it!

littlehud 04-20-2010 06:45 PM

If it isn't too expensive I would get it fixed.

canuckninepatch 04-20-2010 07:05 PM

Thanks so much for your input. My DH is tending to think I should not worry about getting it working since I have 2 great sewing machines, but I think you gals understand my desire to see what she can do.

quiltingbee12 04-20-2010 07:09 PM

You could make her into a hand crank very easily. This website www.treadleon.net has a lot of information on old machines, and it has a page about the Vibrating Shuttles. They are not as complicated as he makes it sound though. I have a lot of them, and some of my main machines are some. PM me if you want more info :)

canuckninepatch 04-20-2010 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingbee12
You could make her into a hand crank very easily. This website www.treadleon.net has a lot of information on old machines, and it has a page about the Vibrating Shuttles. They are not as complicated as he makes it sound though. I have a lot of them, and some of my main machines are some. PM me if you want more info :)

I will check out the website, and I probably will have lots of questions. Thanks for offering to answer a few of them. :-P

Fabriholic 04-20-2010 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
Thanks so much for your input. My DH is tending to think I should not worry about getting it working since I have 2 great sewing machines, but I think you gals understand my desire to see what she can do.

WOW ... even the case is beautiful. I'll bet if your DH were interested in vintage cars and had one that wasn't running well, he'd get it serviced. Do you agree?