Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I need your help please! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-need-your-help-please-t107941.html)

bigsister63 03-15-2011 03:16 PM

I have been making a "nap" size quilt that usually measures 63 x 75 give or take an inch. You might want to add 2 row across and 2 row down to make it about 48x66 with out border and then add 4-6 in border making finished size 60 x78. You could also add sashing between 4 blocks making 12 x12 blocks out of 4 squares. Any size that you make will keep her warm with you love and kindness!

Antdebby1 03-15-2011 03:27 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I'll start sewing the blocks together and take if from there.

CajunQuilter2 03-15-2011 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Yvonne
Your pin wheels look great. I love the 30s fabric.
I made a 9-patch quilt using similar fabrics. I added a thin white border and a scrappy border and a wider white border. If you would like to see I have it posted here. It might give you an idea of what your plans might look like.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-72839-1.htm
I think your proportions are right on.

The border on this one would look great on the pinwheel IMHO. Good luck and be sure to post a picture of the finished quilt for us to see

lisainmo 03-15-2011 03:39 PM

My personal opinion is not to make it to big. The reason being is that if she has had any kind of surgery, a large blanket is very difficult to pull on, unless you have had the surgery, you would not know this. She will be sore in many places. Your quilt is beautiful and I hope that it gives her much comfort when she is doing treatment. My prayers are with her.

debcavan 03-15-2011 03:40 PM

The proportion is fine. I would add a small tiny border and then a second bigger border. Piano keys would be fun for the bigger border. I would use scraps of the fabrics in the quilt.

The colors are so pretty. And you did such a great job piecing.

katier825 03-15-2011 03:45 PM

I love it! See my avatar. I've got a narrow inner border, wider outer border and prairie points in between. I've also seen pinwheel quilts with a plain outer border and some appliqued flowers and vines. That look is very pretty! Another look I like is to have 2 borders the same fabric separated by piping or a flange in a different color. It looks like a framed piece of art. Whatever you choose, I'm sure it will be great!

hatchet 03-15-2011 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Furza Flyin
Its beautiful! I would go with a small boarder. Going through the same thing as your cousin, I found the smaller quilts were better. It is hard for me lift/pull the larger quilts or blankets. The heavier ones were uncomfortable on my chest. I have a lap quilt that my Grandmother made for me. It just covers me while I am in the chair or hospital bed. And it is light enough I can carry it to treatments. Please remember to put her name on the back of quilt encase it ends up in the hospital laundry. Your cousin will love it.

I'm sorry you have to go threw that! My hubby went threw chemo and he also found that the lighter quilts were better, just because of the temperature changes your body goes threw while you sit or lay there receiving treatment. There was a big room full of people getting chemo and most started fully cover, then an arm popped out, then a leg, then the cover was off, then on again. I made a few quilts for them but one special one for hubby that he left there after treatment. He's 7 years out of chemo now!! YIPPY!! He didn't have super good chances but he got threw it as I know you will too!!
Prayers headed you way sweetie!!
Gracie.

Annaquilts 03-15-2011 03:51 PM

36x54 inches is narrow and short. Try adding a 6 1/2 inch border to all sides for 48x66 inch lap quilt or first make it 9x11 blocks (54x66 inches) and add a 6 1/2 inch border to all sides for (66x78 inches) for a very large lap quilt perfect for getting some covering. Either size it is a beautiful and happy quilt.

Furza Flyin 03-15-2011 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Monika

Its beautiful! I would go with a small boarder. Going through the same thing as your cousin, I found the smaller quilts were better. It is hard for me lift/pull the larger quilts or blankets. The heavier ones were uncomfortable on my chest. I have a lap quilt that my Grandmother made for me. It just covers me while I am in the chair or hospital bed. And it is light enough I can carry it to treatments. Please remember to put her name on the back of quilt encase it ends up in the hospital laundry. Your cousin will love it.

Great advice! My best to you.

Thank you! Hugs, Eliz

Furza Flyin 03-15-2011 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by hatchet

I'm sorry you have to go threw that! My hubby went threw chemo and he also found that the lighter quilts were better, just because of the temperature changes your body goes threw while you sit or lay there receiving treatment. There was a big room full of people getting chemo and most started fully cover, then an arm popped out, then a leg, then the cover was off, then on again. I made a few quilts for them but one special one for hubby that he left there after treatment. He's 7 years out of chemo now!! YIPPY!! He didn't have super good chances but he got threw it as I know you will too!!
Prayers headed you way sweetie!!
Gracie.

Thank you, I am on the down hill side now. Last path was negative and I just had my last reconstruction surgery on March 3. I am glad your husband is better. Hugs, Eliz