Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I now have a treadle! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-now-have-treadle-t68784.html)

sueisallaboutquilts 10-06-2010 08:50 PM

That's beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you!
I've been bitten by the vintage machine bug but don't have a treadle.......... yet!!
HAVE FUN!!! :D

jridner1 10-07-2010 12:48 AM

it's a work of art in itself :thumbup:

litacats 10-07-2010 04:37 AM

Hi earthwalker, I am so happy for you I learnt to sew on a treadle machine, great value well done on finding it.
I went into an antique shop yesterday in toodyay and they had 3 for sale all over 250.00. and only 1 had a stand,
have fun with it,

mom-6 10-07-2010 04:42 AM

Sounds like you got it for a good price as well as in pretty good shape! Have fun with your new/old treasure!

Annaquilts 10-07-2010 04:55 AM

Congrats! I know and understand your excitement. Your machine looks very nice. Is it a singer 16K? If so this is what I found--A larger and heavier industrial model, that looks however like a domestic one- I have a red eye Singer 66 but we just bought a motorized Singer 201 and took the motor off. Now that one is in the treadle. Enjoy!!!!

Mariposa 10-07-2010 04:58 AM

Enjoy your "new" machine! Are you going to name her? :)

jitkaau 10-07-2010 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
I am so excited it's pathetic - so please be patient with me while I babble on.....

Last night after my husband finished work we drove over an hour each way to purchase a treadle I had seen advertised the day before. I regularly drool over the amazing treadles I see on this board, and have been keen on getting one for ages but here, particularly in Western Australia, they are expensive and very hard to find.

So here it is....model number F2131086 - From my meagre research so far I believe it to have been made in the Kilbowie factory, Clydebank, Scotland circa 1912. It cost me $100 (Aus.) and is rather tired and grubby but it appears pretty much complete. The cabinet is in need of refinishing, but has no major damage and the machine itself seems to work (haven't really had too much time to "play"). The drawer handles are missing, but it came with a heap of bits and pieces and the original book (very tattered but the cover confirms the date 1912.

It's probably not every quilter's dream....but I am totally besotted with it....so Billy...Charlee and all the other "vintage lovers" I am sure to be reading all the treadle threads I can and humbly join your ranks as a "treadler in training".

I saw a wonderful video where a fellow in San Fran put his treadle onto a sort of trolley and he wheels it out to the streets on a regular basis (I think one Thursday each month). He spends the day repairing people's clothing for free and he evidently has some loyal customers. It seemed like a nice project.

grammiepamie 10-07-2010 07:28 AM

Oh You lucky thing!!!!!!! Yea you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grann of 6 10-07-2010 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
I am so excited it's pathetic - so please be patient with me while I babble on.....

Last night after my husband finished work we drove over an hour each way to purchase a treadle I had seen advertised the day before. I regularly drool over the amazing treadles I see on this board, and have been keen on getting one for ages but here, particularly in Western Australia, they are expensive and very hard to find.

So here it is....model number F2131086 - From my meagre research so far I believe it to have been made in the Kilbowie factory, Clydebank, Scotland circa 1912. It cost me $100 (Aus.) and is rather tired and grubby but it appears pretty much complete. The cabinet is in need of refinishing, but has no major damage and the machine itself seems to work (haven't really had too much time to "play"). The drawer handles are missing, but it came with a heap of bits and pieces and the original book (very tattered but the cover confirms the date 1912.

It's probably not every quilter's dream....but I am totally besotted with it....so Billy...Charlee and all the other "vintage lovers" I am sure to be reading all the treadle threads I can and humbly join your ranks as a "treadler in training".

Wow!!! How lucky you are! And even having parts of the manual. I have a White treadle with lots of accessories, which I have not used yet, but no manual. I did find mine is from the late 1800's. I did get a copy of the manual from a place in Michigan. Enjoy!!!

KatFish 10-07-2010 04:13 PM

Beautiful machine. Enjoy your new toy.