Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   "I stayed up all night to watch the sun rise." (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-stayed-up-all-night-watch-sun-rise-t193833.html)

Kate_W 07-06-2012 06:02 PM

"I stayed up all night to watch the sun rise."

2 Attachment(s)
The name of this quilt is “I stayed up all night to watch the sun rise.” The inspiration came while watching the sun rise over Lake Vermillion in North Eastern Minnesota.

The quilt top pattern is "Sisterhood" from the book "Strip easy" by Christiane Meunier. On the advisement of my go-to quilting buddies, I stopped at 5x5 blocks and did not go the full 5x7 blocks as pictured in the “Strip easy” book.

The batiks and cottons were not pre-washed prior to quilt construction, the completed quilt was washed with “color absorbers” to get the crinkly effect. The quilt was long-arm quilted in a dragonfly pattern.

The binding. I wanted a contrasting patterned binding that skewed red. The binding fabric was the first fabric the LQS fabric-color coordinator suggested. Perfect. But it gets better. One quilt expert buddy needed a project for a quilt show demo. She demonstrated binding on this quilt. Perfect binding. Perfect application. (My handwork needs, umm, work.)

This is my napping quilt. Well, maybe. Helen told me to buy a cheap throw and hang this on the wall ... well, maybe ...

Thank you for looking! The Quilting Board rocks!

joyful1 07-06-2012 06:06 PM

Beautiful!

feline fanatic 07-06-2012 06:08 PM

This is beautiful! I love your detailed explanation of the quilt and your fabric choices are so perfect for the inspiration of sunrise over the lake. Just gorgeous. And the binding is perfect. I would never have thought to go with such a contrast but it works perfectly! I think I agree with our friend, you should hang this beauty on the wall.

serenitybygrace 07-06-2012 06:10 PM

Beautiful quilt!

Grandma Bonnie 07-06-2012 06:29 PM

Very beautiful quilt! The name sure fits it - good work all around!

fleurdelisquilts.com 07-06-2012 06:46 PM

Beautiful. I'd love to visit Minnesota again, and your quilt makes that hope stronger. I was very impressed with the lakes and the beautiful landscape. Your quilt definitely brought back those memories. Thanks for sharing.

dunster 07-06-2012 06:52 PM

I love the way all the colors are working together in that quilt. Beautiful!

irishrose 07-06-2012 06:53 PM

Lovely pattern in lovely colors with a perfect name. Very nice!

Diane007 07-06-2012 07:25 PM

I also like your quilting

burchquilts 07-06-2012 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 5344574)
This is beautiful! I love your detailed explanation of the quilt and your fabric choices are so perfect for the inspiration of sunrise over the lake. Just gorgeous. And the binding is perfect. I would never have thought to go with such a contrast but it works perfectly! I think I agree with our friend, you should hang this beauty on the wall.

I couldn't have said (any of) it better myself! This is just PERFECT! And while it would be too yummy to cuddle under, it also would look fabulous hanging on your wall (or, better yet, MY wall... LOL!). I'm serious... this is stunning! Wow!