Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I'm so happy about this one! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/im-so-happy-about-one-t51845.html)

deedles215 06-28-2010 06:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Without going into sordid details; there's a girl at my work who is pregnant and due July 10th. There isn't a father in the picture, and she's from Ecuador and has very little family here.
I work with one of my 3 sisters and she and I (mostly her! lol) planned and organized a 'baby shower' for her- but we just asked for used clothing, onesies, bottles, etc. for her; she literally had nothing.. not a single thing, for this baby. She didn't even have any maternity clothing.

I got to thinking... Why don't I just make a quilt (isn't that we all think?! :lol:)? So another sister and I picked out some fabric and cut and whipped this bad boy together for her in an afternoon (all except the basting/quilting/binding). That sister, Karen, is also on this board- kbiederman. I can't take ALL the credit. :D
On top of making the quilt, I was able to find a beautiful coordinating bumper and bedskirt from Pottery Barn Kids for nearly free... well, together they would have been $160, and with my employee discount, I got them for $20 total. Yikes!! See? Nearly free!!! The bumper also had airplanes on it.

You wouldn't have believed the outpouring of people's love for her! I cried! We had to take 3 car/truckloads to her apartment. She got a crib, mattress, quilt, bumper, bedskirt, highchair, stroller, 2 carseats, diaper bag, diapers, onesies, pjs, bags and bags of clothes, etc etc etc etc... I mean, she is so loaded now! I was just happy to be a part of it... You know- make someone else's day and see how you feel. It's amazing how it puts things in perspective!

Anyway, this isn't the fanciest quilt, but it will keep little baby boy warm in the cold Minnesota nights, and hopefully remind Elsa that we love her and we wish her the best for her little cutie-pie-to-come. :)

I did the quilting in an opposite diagonal of the quilt pattern. What do you think?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]85587[/ATTACH]

My straight lines! lol
[ATTACH=CONFIG]85588[/ATTACH]

Oh! I made a pillow too. :)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]85589[/ATTACH]

nursie76 06-28-2010 06:20 PM

What a kind generous heart you (and your sister) have for organizing this. The quilt is perfect. Bless you.

MinnieKat 06-28-2010 06:20 PM

Oh what a nice thing for you all to do for this gal! Gives me a shiver...

Maggie_Sue 06-28-2010 06:22 PM

So nice to hear about genuine caring people, quilting on the opposite diagonal was a great idea.

cjomomma 06-28-2010 06:24 PM

That was a fabulous story. You have put tears in my eyes. That was just an incredible thing for you and your sister to do.

JudyG 06-28-2010 06:31 PM

I think it is a bright, beautiful quilt for a baby boy and you and your sister are wonderful people for doing that for her.

IrishNY 06-28-2010 06:42 PM

I am often not proud to be a member of the human race when I hear about the things we do to each other, but I sure feel different after reading your post. I'm sure she was thrilled.

tmg 06-28-2010 06:42 PM

thats really nice.

MaryAnna 06-28-2010 06:45 PM

You are so thoughtful and kind hearted! Your friend will always treasure this quilt! It's made from love and it shows! Great quilt!
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna

tolepainter54 06-28-2010 06:46 PM

What a nice thing you and your sister did. You will be greatly blessed.