Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I've "quilted" a monster. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/ive-%22quilted%22-monster-t101289.html)

CloverPatch 02-19-2011 08:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I had previously posted that my soon to be 8 yr old was interested in sewing, and I wanted to get a machine for her to learn on.
The over all suggestion was to start her on my machine before getting her own. Sound advice.
She is driving me nuts. She is sooo eager to just go at it! She loves puzzles and to her, this is just a big craft project.
Oh my goodness! I set her off making rows. I cut a bunch of 4.5" squares told her to sew 8 together make a row and we need 10 rows. She made 3 and half rows. Lots of learning, which means lots of me ripping seams and her making new ones. She has gotten the hang of it. So this morning she wants the machine, but Im using it. Instead she goes in my scrap bucket, and creates a block. She lays it all out, and tells me what she wants to do. Well when I saw that, I let her have the machine!
The picture is what she came up with, The only part I did was run the machine for the applique, she did everything else. The pinning the sewing, everything.
She is itching to show it off, so here we are. This is her almost 7" doll quilt. About an hour after this was done, she started planning out the next one, following me around the house. How about now? can we cut it now? She has really gotten into this sewing bit!
I havn't picked a machine for her yet, but yea I definitly think I need one!

the front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]160435[/ATTACH]

the back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]160436[/ATTACH]

maryb119 02-19-2011 08:03 PM

Great job!!! I love to see young quilters! She has a great color sense too. Thank you for helping her and encouraging her.

PegD 02-19-2011 08:04 PM

Very nice. Now you need to remember to share. LOL

AngieS 02-19-2011 08:06 PM

Holy COW! That is awesome!!!! I love it! I can't wait for Mary-Grace to get into it. She packs the fabric around and things. (she's 3) I'd say she needs her own machine for sure! Maybe she'll become a designer or something! :) :thumbup: Great job!

magpie 02-19-2011 08:08 PM

Hurry and get that machine or you won't sewing unless she's sleeping. She did fantastic.

dkabasketlady 02-19-2011 08:18 PM

Your daughter did an Excellent job on her doll quilt! She has a very good "designer" eye.

GwynR 02-19-2011 08:31 PM

Very nice! Better get her a machine so you can have yours back!

fleurdelisquilts.com 02-19-2011 08:33 PM

Oh how wonderful! It must be wonderful to have a daughter and one interested in your hobby/craft. I missed that with my boys--couldn't drag them inside long enough for anything I might have been interested in. Congratulations to you both. She is really talented.

LeeAnn 02-19-2011 08:34 PM

Oh my, that's great. I remember my Mom teaching me to sew when I was about that age. I loved it then and still do. You're creating wonderful memories plus teaching her a valuable craft. By the way, Mom!

Queen Mary 02-19-2011 08:41 PM

I say get her a Janome, an electronic if you can afford it $300+/-. I got my 8 year old granddaughter one and she loves it. It will last lots of years. Give her some fabric and then let her go