Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Jean Rag Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/jean-rag-quilt-t1645.html)

ilena 07-31-2007 03:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is my finished jeans rag quilt, it's couch throw size. Old jeans and flannel back. I bought some green flannel last year for it but just decided to get some red and blue to add some more color. I added the stitch design to the squares as a way to practice some quilting design for another quilt that I am working on. I also used a "fancy" stitch to sew the blocks together. Didn't work out as evenly as I wanted to ~ the weight of all that denim and flannel made it difficult for my machine to sew it consistently but I like the effect anyway ~ sort of groovy shabby chic!!!

I was surprised how easy it was to use a template and make the stitching for the design on the block. I think I would like to try to make a rag throw quilt from flannel and cotton and trace my daughters hand print for the stitching design for my mom. If it comes out as I hope she will love it (then again she has to love it if I am making it)! :D

tia sarah 07-31-2007 03:39 PM

ilena, i just love your quilt. it looks so cumffffy cozy. .i'll pm you my addy.

Cathe 07-31-2007 06:13 PM

Well done! :D

annmarie 07-31-2007 06:57 PM

That is really cool. I love the different shades of blue.

amma 07-31-2007 10:57 PM

What an awesome quilt, I love the way the edges turned out and the back is so pretty! How did you get the edges to fray out like that? It reminds me of the denims we wore when I was a teenager, ( I guess I am telling my age now, LOL )

ilena 08-01-2007 02:30 AM

Thanks everyone and sorry that the first picture is tilted! I followed instructions on making a denim rag quilt on links I found on this message board. To get the edges to fray you just snip the seams up to the stitching and wash. I snipped every inch and a half or so.

ShellyQ 08-01-2007 02:47 AM

Your quilt looks very warm and inviting just makes you want cuddle up into it. I too have been following the discusion about rag quilts as I had never heard of one untill I joined the board here.

susan s. 10-11-2007 05:08 AM

I like it. Great idea using flannel for the back. (so cozy) I think I'll try one. I have some different colors of denim. I'm collecting right now. I'm just finishing my first quilt. Other than the appliqued wall hanging I made back in 1985(It was stolen) I have one border on, three to go. Tho my mistake was not stretching and pinning the back enough so the back is a bit wrinkled and bunched in a few spots. I did rip some seams to even out a couple of the sq. backs. I still like it and I'm sure my neice will. I'll try getting it on line over the weeekend. My digital camera is a cheapo. I'm not sure how good the pics will be. I used mostly BOM block patterns tho I also threw in some of my own design elements.

owlvamp 08-10-2011 08:40 AM

What an awesome quilt, I love the way the edges turned out and the back is so pretty! I want to make one.