Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Just finished this Rail Fence Top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/just-finished-rail-fence-top-t120627.html)

Jenni M 05-03-2011 05:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just finished up this rail fence quilt top for the memorial scholarship I am doing. What do you think about the backing fabric?

Also...help me here, the top measures 61 X 72 so how many yards do I need for the backing.

Jenni's Rail Fence May 2011
[ATTACH=CONFIG]192551[/ATTACH]

Possible backing Fabric - Your Thoughts?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]192552[/ATTACH]

GreatStarter 05-03-2011 05:33 PM

Very nice rail fence quilt. Can't help with answer about the backing as I am not very familiar with chosing good backing fabrics.

lheartsl 05-03-2011 05:35 PM

great quilt.
but I am not crazy about the backing.. looks like the quilt is more of an deep aqua blue, where the backing is a different shade...

erstan947 05-03-2011 05:42 PM

Love the backing fabric:) Quilt is very nice. Good color choices:)

QuiltE 05-03-2011 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jenni M
I just finished up this rail fence quilt top for the memorial scholarship I am doing. What do you think about the backing fabric?

Also...help me here, the top measures 61 X 72 so how many yards do I need for the backing.

I like the backing fabric but for another project. That is, if your colours are somewhat true for both the top and backing, they don't blend together. If they do blend, then it would be something I would use.

Backing .... two widths (2x40" = 80") will be enough for the length of your quilt.

You need twice the 61" width plus the extra width for putting in the frame. I'd buy 2 x 2 yards = 4 yards.

If you are binding with the same fabric ... you'll need extra for that.

sueisallaboutquilts 05-03-2011 05:50 PM

Hi Jenni, love your rail fence. I'm not very fussy about backing fabrics.I don't think it has to blend perfectly (if it doesn't)The one you chose looks fine to me.

Jenni M 05-03-2011 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Originally Posted by Jenni M

I like the backing fabric but for another project. That is, if your colours are somewhat true for both the top and backing, they don't blend together. If they do blend, then it would be something I would use.

Thanks for the math lesson. I have such a hard time calculating for the backing!

Backing .... two widths (2x40" = 80") will be enough for the length of your quilt.

You need twice the 61" width plus the extra width for putting in the frame. I'd buy 2 x 2 yards = 4 yards.

If you are binding with the same fabric ... you'll need extra for that.

Jenni M 05-03-2011 05:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Any other suggestions for the backing color?

HERE ARE THE TOP AND POTENTIAL BACK A LITTLE CLOSER TOGETHER
[ATTACH=CONFIG]192565[/ATTACH]

Homespun 05-03-2011 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Love the backing fabric:) Quilt is very nice. Good color choices:)

my thoughts exactly!

Kitsapquilter 05-03-2011 05:59 PM

The backing fabric is pretty but it would not be my first choice for this quilt. I would try to find something that is closer to the same color as the light in your quilt. Of course I know pics are deceiving sometimes so if this matches better than it looks on here then it would be fine. Like someone else said I don't think it has to exactly match but at least have a design in it that somewhat matches. Maybe for the design of your quilt you might try a pretty plaid or something like that.