Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Making quilt for Dad and need advice on my fabric choice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/making-quilt-dad-need-advice-my-fabric-choice-t55792.html)

lilpoohbearie 07-22-2010 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all, this will be my first quilt made for my dad. I have found this dog panel that is perfect for him. He has the same dog and everything. I have a bunch of fall colored and jewel toned batik fabric that I would like to use but know that it is up I am not sure I like the batik can you help?

quilt idea
[ATTACH=CONFIG]72588[/ATTACH]

earthwalker 07-22-2010 07:54 PM

The batik is beautiful, but, somehow I just don't think it "goes" with the dog fabric (which is gorgeous too). To me batik is very "eastern" in feel and design and the dog fabric is not...Autumn tones will work very well with the sashings and the dog print, but maybe go with something that looks like autumn leaves, rather than the stylised form in the batik. Also the purple colour in the batik is slightly at odds with the dog print...I hope I have explained this sensibly....it will be interesting to see what other contributors think and what you finally decide.

Please keep us posted - lucky Dad for having a daughter who is putting so much thought and love into his quilt!

lilpoohbearie 07-22-2010 08:01 PM

That is what I needed! I am still trying to get over that stripes and plaids don't go togehter :)

walen 07-22-2010 08:03 PM

I agree. I also would consider choosing something in greens or blues. I think it would pull out the dogs. Just a thought.

Originally Posted by earthwalker
The batik is beautiful, but, somehow I just don't think it "goes" with the dog fabric (which is gorgeous too). To me batik is very "eastern" in feel and design and the dog fabric is not...Autumn tones will work very well with the sashings and the dog print, but maybe go with something that looks like autumn leaves, rather than the stylised form in the batik. Also the purple colour in the batik is slightly at odds with the dog print...I hope I have explained this sensibly....it will be interesting to see what other contributors think and what you finally decide.

Please keep us posted - lucky Dad for having a daughter who is putting so much thought and love into his quilt!

littlehud 07-22-2010 08:09 PM

That batik is beautiful but maybe not in that quilt. I love the idea of fall colored leaves. That dog fabric is awesome. I'm sure he will love it.

charismah 07-22-2010 08:26 PM

I don't think the batik is my first choice either. I wthink I would also try to pull out some blues and browns....but you also knwo what will appeal to him better than I . Good luck!

mom-6 07-22-2010 08:53 PM

Love your fabrics! However they just somehow don't quite go together. I think it may be that they are competing with each other for attention, both wanting to be the focal fabric. I like the idea of using autumn leaves design fabric, but I would make sure the 'mood' of the fabric is more similar to your dog focal fabric. Good luck finding the "perfect" fabric!

amma 07-22-2010 09:19 PM

A non-stamped batik would be beautiful in this quilt. As well as a leaf pattern too.

sewcrafty 07-23-2010 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by amma
A non-stamped batik would be beautiful in this quilt. As well as a leaf pattern too.

I agree! Something that is more of a blender type look would be nice.

mlaceruby 07-23-2010 03:28 AM

Love the dogs print!
I agree not that batik for this quilt.
a mottled blender would look best IMHO! LOL