Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   mariner's compass center done--need ideas for rest! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/mariners-compass-center-done-need-ideas-rest-t103611.html)

Marcia_PA 02-27-2011 02:12 PM

I paper pieced this mariner's compass center and added the border. I want to finish this as a king size quilt, but DO NOT want to paper piece alot more compasses :roll: I want the center to be on point, and I will add setting triangles to finish the center as a square. Right now, this is almost 26 inches square.

I plan to make quilt blocks (of an unknown design right now--maybe log cabin or delectable mountains?) for most of the quilt. I might add some partial compasses or smaller compasses around the sides in the final border.

Any suggestions for some design in the setting triangles? (I don't want to paper piece partial compasses, although I might if I can't think of something else.) Or any suggestions for what quilt blocks should make up the bulk of the quilt?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Marcia_PA 02-27-2011 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oops! Here's the photo!

tealfalcon 02-27-2011 02:16 PM

Oh my that's gorgeous

Pamela Artman 02-27-2011 02:16 PM

That is gorgeous! Love the colors.

MTS 02-27-2011 02:17 PM

So if it's 26" square, on point the square will end up around 37", more if you float it.

What is the diameter of the compass? 12"?

That will leave a border/design/whatever of around 30+/- inches around to get to king size.

I'm not going to be much help, because I'd put more complete MC's in in the setting triangles so it would really make a statement. Actually, I'd probably applique a bunch of smaller ones in each section. It looks like you pieced (?) yours to the background.

It sounds like you have PP fatigue so that's not an option for you.

I just think that beautiful, lonely MC is going to get lost in the center of a 95" square quilt (or whatever measurements you're working towards).

bamamama 02-27-2011 02:23 PM

You could duplicate the compass in the quilting of those setting triangles. I saw a quilt posted here awhile back where that was done, except with sunflowers. It looked really nice.

kreinhart742 02-27-2011 02:26 PM

Wow very nice job.

MissSandra 02-27-2011 02:32 PM

add half compass's on each side I love that look and have done it.

irishrose 02-27-2011 02:35 PM

The corners of your setting look like Disappearing four Patch corners. Could you make some D4Ps to surround the MP? Then some 1/4 MPs in the corners of the border to tie altogether.

Marcia_PA 02-27-2011 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by MTS

It sounds like you have PP fatigue so that's not an option for you.

I just think that beautiful, lonely MC is going to get lost in the center of a 95" square quilt (or whatever measurements you're working towards).

Thanks for commenting. I was afraid of that! I know more partial compasses in the triangles would look the best, but I like how you put it --pp fatigue :shock: The center circle is 16 inches and the width across the piece is about 36 inches.

Still hoping for some other ideas, but will keep the half compass idea as my fall-back plan!