Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Mariner's Compass help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/mariners-compass-help-t35923.html)

Sewsweet 02-03-2010 04:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have wanted to a Mariner's compass quilt, so I have been doing some practice blocks. I need input on matching the center seams. :?

Practice Mariner's Compass block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]37206[/ATTACH]

Practice block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]37207[/ATTACH]

Practice block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]37208[/ATTACH]

Mountainquilter 02-03-2010 04:22 PM

I just made one myself and make the compass in 4 quarters then sew two together and then those two and it should line up for you.

But, yours looks fine to me.

omak 02-03-2010 04:41 PM

I think your center points match very well, indeed!
One idea, you may have already done, is to start in the center of the block and sew outward, rather than starting at an outer edge.
When you stitch the 2-two block sections together, it will be even more important. Because you are starting in the center, working outward, you may want to start with very tiny stitches for the first half. When you return to center, place your needle down so that you will be stitching directly on top of the tiny stitches, this will lock your ends in place. Three or four of these locking stitches, not so tiny as your first set will do the job admirably. :thumbup:
And, always remember! If those are your practice blocks and look that good? Those are probably the worst you will ever do!
Good show! <wave>

shaverg 02-03-2010 04:46 PM

I think your center seams look good. They are really nice.

jewelps 02-03-2010 05:40 PM

those a really pretty, you did a wonderful job :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

littlehud 02-03-2010 07:01 PM

Help with what. I think they look great.

rb. 02-03-2010 07:04 PM

From what I can see, the only centre points that aren't dead on appear to be the middle ones that would be putting the two halves together. To do that, and hopefully get them dead on, make sure the middle seam of each half is pressed in the opposite direction from the other, when right sides are put together. Then you should be able to really butt those centre seams right tight together, so that when they are sewn they line up perfectly. Did that make any sense? LOL

Your practice blocks look just like mine did, so I will point out something you may not have noticed, especially if you haven't assembled them into anything (ie. adding to them). I learned very quickly to add more fabric for the backgroung, or make sure, if designing the compass myself, to have the points end well inside the circle. The closer they are to the edge of the circle, the more chance of losing the points when adding fabric to the outside. I learned that the hard way...sigh... LOL

Sewsweet 02-04-2010 06:31 AM

From what I can see, the only centre points that aren't dead on appear to be the middle ones that would be putting the two halves together. To do that, and hopefully get them dead on, make sure the middle seam of each half is pressed in the opposite direction from the other, when right sides are put together. Then you should be able to really butt those centre seams right tight together, so that when they are sewn they line up perfectly. Did that make any sense? LOL

Your practice blocks look just like mine did, so I will point out something you may not have noticed, especially if you haven't assembled them into anything (ie. adding to them). I learned very quickly to add more fabric for the backgroung, or make sure, if designing the compass myself, to have the points end well inside the circle. The closer they are to the edge of the circle, the more chance of losing the points when adding fabric to the outside. I learned that the hard way...sigh... LOL[/quote]

Good POINT I will be mindful when I start the background, and the center is what I was having a hard time with. Thanks for your input. :lol:

Jim's Gem 02-04-2010 12:46 PM

They are beautiful. Love the colors!!!