Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Merry and Bright Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/merry-bright-quilt-t24476.html)

Lisa T 08-21-2009 08:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I had another wedding tonight, which this summer meant I had another Christmas quilt to make. (My theme for this summer's wedding gifts is a Christmas quilt.)

Being- ahem!- a "completely abnormal quilter" I was still up hand sewing the binding at 4:00 this morning. No worries- the gal at the lqs assured me this was standard practice. She also laughed because she remembered the last wedding I went to (a few weeks ago)- I was sewing the binding on in the car on the way there. So I was way ahead of the game for this one. LOL! For the next wedding, who knows, maybe I'll have it done THE DAY BEFORE! (I'm crazy like that- you never know what I'll do next...)

Anyway, on to the the stats: I made this the really easy way- I just wrapped strips from a jelly roll of Merry and Bright (by Sandy Gervais for Moda) around squares from a charm pack. For the floating blocks border I used up the remainder of the strips and a thrifted sheet. I was super lucky and got enough of the teal colored snowflake fabric for a back FROM THE 40% OFF ROOM at lqs!!!Woohoo for nice cheap backs! The binding was Holly Jolly which matches the Merry and Bright.

This is the second quilt I have quilted on my new Bernina 430. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it. So glad I went with that one. I did my normal quilting (double stitch the ditch about a quarter of an inch away) for the center and then all the way around the outside I did a wavy stitch that was built into the machine (#4).

I also used the basting spray stuff since I was in a time crunch and it was great! I would use it again, but it was expensive so maybe I will try out some other kind of water soluble spray glue on a cheap quilt and see how that goes.

Lisa T 08-21-2009 08:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This gift had a theme, which was a Tradition in a Box. I put some other gifts in there- a photo album, some bowls with snacks and a Dr. Seuss "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" movie- the cartoon one. Then I wrote a little poem and attached it to each item. The idea was that we were giving them a Tradition to do every year- watch the movie, eating popcorn and snuggling under the quilt, and then they are supposed to take a picture in front of the tree to put in the book and write a little something next to it about their previous year.

ETA- I thought the Merry and Bright fabric was kind of "Dr. Seuss-y".

Susy 08-21-2009 08:30 PM

That is beautiful, love the colours & the quilting looks great!

sewnsewer2 08-21-2009 08:31 PM

Ooooo, I like it!!

sharon b 08-21-2009 08:33 PM

I love it :lol: Great job ! When you did the wavy stitch , did you use your walking foot or just a regular foot ?

As for finishing at 4 am... I totally understand.. its a quilter thing :wink: LOL
Sharon

Lisa T 08-21-2009 08:36 PM

I used the walking foot. The Bernina walking foot allows you do do that. I think there is a Viking one that you can buy like that, too, but it's different from the standard one that comes with some of the machines. (I test drove a bunch before I chose the Bernie.)

And thanks everyone!:0) I wanted to keep this one!!

RedGarnet222 08-21-2009 08:46 PM

Lisa This sounds so fun! They are just going to remember this one out of all the wedding gifts ... for sure!

The quilt is adorable and the box of christmas traditions is such a great idea. I love it!

cutebuns 08-21-2009 08:56 PM

that is a cool thing that you are doing.

I don't go to a lot of wedding which is a good thing, I would be way busy just doing them let alone everything else.

Joan 08-21-2009 09:35 PM

What a thoughtful person you are.....

The quilt is beautiful!--lucky couple!

Harmony 08-21-2009 10:02 PM

Gorgeous quilt! I love the tradition in a box idea!