Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Miniature Scrappy Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/miniature-scrappy-quilt-t198342.html)

stitcherlady 08-22-2012 06:54 AM

Miniature Scrappy Quilt

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone,

I have spent a great amount of time admiring all the talent that is shown on the Quilting Board. I am happy to be able to see everyone's great quilts. I thought I would share a quilt I have made that I lovingly refer to as my "trash quilt". Please understand the reason I call it this. The quilt was made with 1" squares, finishing at 1/2" square. I only used fabric that would have been destined for the trash and have been known to go "dumpster diving" at various quilting events/classes. All my friends know me by now....and they still will shake their heads, but this is what I ended up with. Believe me, it's not that I don't have yardage of fabric to use, it is just that I have made something out of nothing and that thrills me (plus I LOVE scrappy quilts). This is my first attempt at a miniature like this and my seams are far from perfect, which does bug me a little. You can also see in the picture that it had skewed a little. I started out making the quilt in sections, and then went to making it in rows. My thought was to possible frame it as it measures approximately 17" square. The entire back is seams so I think it would be difficult to quilt. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks for looking and being such a great community of quilting buddies.

Dayken 08-22-2012 06:57 AM

You must have the patience of Job.

JEM2012 08-22-2012 07:02 AM

I LOVE this! What a neat take on a postage stamp quilt - I love how you varied the colors to make it something completely different!!

ruck9085 08-22-2012 07:08 AM

Really cute! too small for me, I'd go insane!

May in Jersey 08-22-2012 07:09 AM

Kudos to you for saving those little scraps and creating such a eye catching mini quilt, you deserve a medal for working with so many 1" squares. Gives me some ideas for another scrappy quilt from my scrap stash but I have to make the individual squares at least 2" as I can't work as small as you did.

Nikki and Co. 08-22-2012 07:15 AM

I'm fond of scrappy quilts and I love yours! Nice work.

BeckySt 08-22-2012 07:17 AM

All I can say is WOW, great job with those tiny pieces.

Tartan 08-22-2012 07:18 AM

​I think it's adorable! I would be looking for a show that has a miniature section or put it into your local fair. It is sure to be well received.

DogHouseMom 08-22-2012 07:25 AM

Well done! I love it, the colors, the pattern ... most of all the size. I ADORE small blocks - the smallest I've done was 1/4" finished squares - and I will freely admit my seams don't match anywhere near as close as yours. I did quilt it - it wasn't "easy" but it did indeed quilt (FMQ on a domestic machine).

Suggestion for the border would be a 1/2" colorful border (a print with many "dark" colors), then a wide print with soft colors, then bind with the same print as your narrow border.

Another possible suggestion is ... find a repeating border print with lots of bright/dark colors that can be mitered easily. Use a WIDE (4" perhaps) border - mitred so the repeats match at each corner. Then just bind. I adore mitered/matched borders as much as I do small pieces.

lynnie 08-22-2012 07:28 AM

Soo pretty, you havesome nice colorsther and wat a wonderful stash youhave