Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Monster quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/monster-quilt-t88816.html)

tjradj 01-08-2011 06:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This "monster" is going up for sale when I'm done with it, I won't be able to look at it soon.
I started off with a star pattern, so I bought the fabs.
Did a test block, didn't like it. The center had 16 different pieces coming together in the center of the star - argh!
So, I figured, I'd change the background and do a star sampler quilt out of it.
When I layed it out (on the floor of the church hall), I realized that all the different stars put together didn't look right, it needed sashing between the blocks. To make things more complicated, some of the blocks were 1/4 - 1/2" too small - of course, my fav pattern too, so I added extra sashing to them to bring them up to size.
So, now my 80"x100" grew by another foot plus in each direction, and that was before borders.
This made me realize that if I was going to get it ON my frame, I'd have to quilt the center and add the borders later.
I've got 10 meters of fabric invested in the backing alone.
I got the backing onto the frame this afternoon, and it takes up every last available inch.
When I get this done, I will be sooooooo done with it.
Oh, forgive the light fixture in the middle of the pics, it was taken pinned up on the dining room wall because of the snow outside. Ugh. Is it spring yet?

The block I didn't like - made it into a hot pad.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156331[/ATTACH]

some of the variety of blocks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156332[/ATTACH]

the quilt top hanging on the wall
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156333[/ATTACH]

erstan947 01-08-2011 06:54 PM

That is a beautiful quilt. Love all the Stars!:)

Mariposa 01-08-2011 06:56 PM

Very pretty so far!

KarenR 01-08-2011 06:59 PM

WOW!!! That is stunning!
I love how large it is. Perfect for a King Bed or to snuggle under with a good book and a cup of hot coco.

hperttula123 01-08-2011 07:02 PM

wow!!! beautiful

craftybear 01-08-2011 07:04 PM

beautiful quilt

QM 01-08-2011 07:07 PM

This will be a very nice quilt. Having "scabbed on" borders for similar reasons in the past, I have a warning for you. Stop your quilting a couple of inches from the edge. Otherwise, your border will tend to be distorted relative to the body of the quilt.

I find it pretty easy to quilt borders on my Janome. Sometimes a friend will LA quilt the body for me and I nned to add borders later.

I have put together supposedly uniform blocks made by other and used the same technique you used. It works.

BTW, I like the pattern of your hot pad, but I think it needed a little more contrast.

blue10moon9 01-08-2011 07:20 PM

Love the quilt top. (I have the same light fixture in my dining room but had it painted off white.)

charismah 01-08-2011 07:48 PM

Well I think it is beautiful!

mswordwiz 01-08-2011 07:50 PM

It is gorgeous!