Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My 1st baby quilt top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-1st-baby-quilt-top-t49466.html)

cjomomma 06-13-2010 08:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
This is the very first baby quilt i have made. It is flannel, I found out I don't like working with flannel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84979[/ATTACH]

close up of one of the prints
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84980[/ATTACH]

This is going to be the back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84981[/ATTACH]

MamaBear61 06-13-2010 08:57 AM

Very cute.

dakotamaid 06-13-2010 09:18 AM

Flannel can be tricky. Bigger blocks, longer stitch length, and a walking foot are all a must! I have made many flannel quilts and once you get the hang of it they make beautiful quilts. Yours is lovely, try again.! :D :D

fliedermaus 06-13-2010 09:22 AM

I love it, the backing fabric is just darling too. Hope you haven't been put off too much. I can see this quilt being a huge hit!

patti-cakes 06-13-2010 09:25 AM

I love it! Must be so soft! I haven't work with flannel yet but have hopes to try a raggety one some time soon!

dkabasketlady 06-13-2010 09:31 AM

Very pretty baby quilt, Carrie. Flannel has a mind of its own, but don't give up on working with it. Practice & time.

cjomomma 06-13-2010 09:41 AM

Thank you everyone.
I do hope my DS friend will be happy with it. I forgot to mention it was for her friend who is having a boy. It took me about 4 days to make the top.
Has anyone ever tried to use stabilizer on flannel? I am going to use the walking foot when I quilt it, think I am just gonna do SITD. I had to shop my Mom's stash for this because I only had winnie the pooh FQ,s as far as baby prints go. My DM was the one that said use flannel for it because my prints were also flannel, she knows more than I do. I didn't think they were. She used to work the fabric's at WM and said they were a special FQ pack in a thin flannel.

MamaHen 06-13-2010 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Flannel can be tricky. Bigger blocks, longer stitch length, and a walking foot are all a must! I have made many flannel quilts and once you get the hang of it they make beautiful quilts. Yours is lovely, try again.! :D :D

A few of us in N Florida are making receiving blankets for the Healthy Start program, and have found the flannel quite different to work with than our 100% cotton. Had not thought of a walking foot, we do use larger stitches, and less on presser foot. I will mention it to the other ladies on our Tuesday night sit & sew. I will try it on my next blanket tomorrow. We are planning on making around 20 receiving blankets. Our guild (many of the older members)are not big on doing things for community orginizations, so a couple of us have taken it upon our selves to try and help at least one this year. We have six done now, and are giving ourselves until the first part of August to finish them. I think we will be successful!

pab58 06-13-2010 01:52 PM

That is such a cheerful quilt! Lucky baby!! :thumbup:

saf45 06-13-2010 01:52 PM

aww so cute