Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My appliqued girl's quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-appliqued-girls-quilt-t194544.html)

JulieB 07-13-2012 04:36 PM

My appliqued girl's quilt

2 Attachment(s)
This is a project I thoroughly enjoyed. It taught me a new way to applique, and I found out it's not to be feared. This method used fusible interfacing sewn on the back of each colored patch. I used invisible thread to applique the patches to the square. The boring part was cutting out 160 patches of interfacing, followed by 160 colored patches, but sewing these together gave me so much energy and excitement it was hard to go to bed some evenings. This is a twin-sized quilt destined for an auction next March. I plan on machine-quilting it with a simple motif in the brown centers, and feathers in the colored. I'm going to use matching thread, as much as possible, to keep down the "clutter". There are enough colors to distract the eye as it is. I will also make a matching pillow case for it before I'm done. Hope you enjoy looking.

Mariposa 07-13-2012 04:43 PM

Very bright! Please show us when it is finished as well! Great job!!

Diane007 07-13-2012 04:58 PM

Very colourful

Jingle 07-13-2012 05:17 PM

Beautiful and very colorful. Great color choices.

MamaBear61 07-13-2012 05:31 PM

Beautifully done.

joyce888 07-13-2012 05:39 PM

Very pretty. I too want to see it finished.

jbening 07-13-2012 05:49 PM

Very bright and cheerful. I don't understand why you sewed the fusible interfacing the back of the colored patch instead of ironing it on? Does this pattern have a name? Definitely looks like you had fun.

burchquilts 07-13-2012 05:56 PM

Oh, I love this! Is it a variation of "Orange Peel"? It's so bright & cheery! Please post again when you get this beauty quilted! And p. s. --- I know the feeling of being so caught up in your quilting that you don't want to go to bed... like when you were little & you mom would say it was bedtime... LOL!

quiltjoey 07-13-2012 06:00 PM

Bright and beautiful! It's always fun to learn a new technique!!

JulieB 07-13-2012 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by jbening (Post 5362675)
Very bright and cheerful. I don't understand why you sewed the fusible interfacing the back of the colored patch instead of ironing it on? Does this pattern have a name? Definitely looks like you had fun.

the patches worked differently than anything I've done yet. I cut out both patch and interfacing, then sewed the right sight of the patch against the glue side of the interfacing. After that, I turned it right side out, pinned the patch where I wanted it, and ironed it down. Then I could run along the edge of the patch and use the invisible thread to sew the curved edges down, and it was finished. The interfacing held the patches in place until they were all sewn down plus there were no visible machine stitches and no funky corners like I've gotten when I've appliqued by hand, just smooth round lines. I got the pattern from a book entitled UrbanCountry Quilts by Jeanne Large and Shelly Wicks.