Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My first lap quilt for my granddaughter! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-lap-quilt-my-granddaughter-t42753.html)

no1jan 04-14-2010 05:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I am very proud of this quilt as I never thought I would ever be able to make anything like this! It is full of mistakes, but I'm not worried about it.

Six years ago, I woke up and found out I had a stroke during the night which caused me to lose my center vision. Being a computer programmer and a crafter this really hit me very hard. I no longer can see most of what is in front of me which makes it difficult to do most anything. For example, if I am in a store I have to look for something from down the isle. If it is in front of me I can't see it. I can no longer read very well either as I can only see 3 letters at a time. I also no longer drive as there has been many times there was a car ahead of us that I didn't even see.

I have struggled re-learning how to do things. I go by feel or hold things to my left side in order to see it. Slowly I have tried doing more and more things. Reading is still the hardest for me as I get sick to my stomach and headachy from concentrating so hard, but I have managed to read like a ticker-tape, but very slowly.

My sister-in-law insisted I can quilt. I started making yo-yo's and was doing pretty good. I decided to buy an inexpensive sewing machine in order to sew them together. Then I decided I would try and make a regular quilt.

I did take a class but was so slow that we only got up to the borders so most of instructions came either from the board or my adopted mother/sister: sewcrafty! Thank you sewcrafty, you have been a wonderful help! :thumbup: :)

Well, here it is mistakes and all. Not too bad for a half blind old lady who is as stubborn as hell. :!: :!:

My first quilt - 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]59885[/ATTACH]

My first quilt - 2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]59951[/ATTACH]

My first quilt - 3
[ATTACH=CONFIG]59952[/ATTACH]

erstan947 04-14-2010 05:28 PM

Indeed, you should be proud. Keep up the good work.

janRN 04-14-2010 05:29 PM

I love it--those are my favorite colors. I don't see any mistakes, I think you did a great job (from one Jan to another Jan!) Keep up the good work.

cashmommy11 04-14-2010 05:29 PM

i think it is great and good for you ..just make sure you make more

beachlady 04-14-2010 05:53 PM

Looks good to me too. Love the colors.

Pamela Artman 04-14-2010 05:58 PM

Love the quilt! Love the colors and fabrics! And kudos to you for tackling a quilt with limited vision. Keep up the good work!!

bailey 04-14-2010 05:59 PM

Wonderful quilt and the colors are so pretty. Great job!

bailey 04-14-2010 05:59 PM

Wonderful quilt and the colors are so pretty. Great job!

bailey 04-14-2010 06:00 PM

Oh no, I think I broke the board!

barnbum 04-14-2010 06:01 PM

The quilt is fabulous and you, dear, are terrific.