Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My first messenger bag! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-messenger-bag-t26285.html)

Yarn or Fabric 09-30-2009 05:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
We're going on vacation next week and I wanted to make a smallish bag for going on vacation. I came up a tutorial online (heartofmary's) and went for it - tweaking it to add a zippered pocket across the front flap. I'm not too keen on the magnetic snap I installed - it is REALLY strong and kind of a pain in the butt. I'm wondering if there are different strengths to those things... I'll look in to it but man o man this magnetic clasp is strong!

It zippers across the top as well which in hindsight is really not all that necessary - if anything it's a bother. My next one won't have that feature. Some things in life just aren't needed ya know?

Anyhoo... here's a few shots of my new bag.
It's 8x8 with a 1 1/2-2" gusset on the sides. It took nearly all day to make since I made some mistakes along the way - and also decided to change some things after sewing them (like the front flap. I decided I had to have that zippered pocket across the front so I started that part over.

I do plan on making another one - bigger and better - for everyday use. That's on my to do list for after I get back from visiting the Mouse in Florida...

Here's the zipper on the flap. You don't really see it much on the shot of the bag since it is at the top..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49899[/ATTACH]

Inside the bag - zippered pocket. The button fabric on the inside is the front inside pockets. Can't have enough pockets!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49900[/ATTACH]

Quilt4u 09-30-2009 05:27 AM

I love it

sewsewquilter 09-30-2009 08:16 AM

Cute bag. Enjoy your visit the the mouse in Florida.

amandasgramma 09-30-2009 08:32 AM

There are two sizes of magnets...the larger ones will foil a purse snatcher, I swear! :mrgreen: The smaller ones aren't as strong. BUT, I can only get the smaller ones online and I can't remember where I got them! :shock: SO --- that being said...I LOVE this idea! There are times I don't want to tote my tote (hahah) and this will be handy. You did a great job!

Mamaskeeto 09-30-2009 08:40 AM

Great tote

sewjoyce 09-30-2009 11:49 AM

That is so cute!! I love it!!

Enjoy your vacation.... :D

tuesy 09-30-2009 12:18 PM

Have a great time on your vacation!! Love the bag and it'll come in handy!

joeyoz 09-30-2009 12:48 PM

Well Crafty, you are very crafty. Your bag is great and will come in handy on your vacation. Have loads of fun. :D :D :D

SulaBug 09-30-2009 12:49 PM

Love you little bag!! :D It's
just to cute for words. Have
a great time.
:D :D :D

Yarn or Fabric 09-30-2009 04:50 PM

I can hardly wait to see the Mouse again. I just love Disney. I'm bummed that Space Mountain is temporarily closed (drats! It's my oldest son's favorite ride too. He is really really upset about it but what can you do? He'll just have to go on Buzz Lightyear a few more times instead lol)

I wish I took a better picture of it. It is just so cute. My husband couldn't believe that I had made it.

I'm going to look for those other magnetic snaps. I tell you what NOBODY is going to get in to that bag lol. It is sealed up tighter than an inmate. I'll let you all know how much I like it AFTER the trip lol. I'll be sporting it on Sunday to Disney Quest. The kids don't know they are going there. I don't know how they are going to contain themselves after going there - they are video heads!!!

Today I made friends with my new embroidery machine and began stitching out tshirts for everyone to wear on the 8th (my sister's birthday) I'm hoping to get all 12 shirts done before we leave or else someone is going to be left out!! I'll post pics of those after I get them done :)