Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   my first quilt, an exercise in patience (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-quilt-exercise-patience-t215726.html)

27thPlanet 03-07-2013 09:05 AM

my first quilt, an exercise in patience

4 Attachment(s)
Hello all! I'm making this post as kind of a diary of my first quilt piecing adventure. I chose an impossible pattern for a beginner. It was a poor decision, I'll admit. But my sister said she loved it, and I'm making this as a surprise for her wedding so I'll just have to give it my best. As I add more blocks I'll post updates. I admit that I'm posting this a little bit out of my own selfishness, because I'm sure I'm going to need some encouragement from someone not related to me so they don't have to be nice to me. And you all are so nice and helpful. Please feel free to offer up any advice or suggestions for me. I think I've finally figured out the y-seams. Those were a beast! Now I only have to rip out and redo about every fourth one, which I would call a win. Anyway, here's some pictures....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]400317[/ATTACH]
First block made!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]400318[/ATTACH]
Center star completed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]400319[/ATTACH]
First row of green blocks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]400320[/ATTACH]
What I finished last night.
The floor tiles are 20" square, just to give you some perspective. It's going to be huge, I'm going to run out of floor space to lay it out soon. I have to finish this row of diamonds, then another row of green, then the black background.

Also, just a side note. I used this Altos Quilt Cut thing and it is amazing. I got it for Christmas. I don't know if I would have ever bought it for myself, but it sure did come in handy cutting out 23 different sizes of strips.

debcavan 03-07-2013 09:08 AM

I am sad, I couldn't get the photos.

newbee3 03-07-2013 09:09 AM

beautiful quilt in the making they will love it

27thPlanet 03-07-2013 09:10 AM

Sorry, I messed up the photos. They should be there now. :)

terri bb 03-07-2013 09:12 AM

good NIGHT woman! your first quilt? yup you took on a challenge but it is going to be AMAZING when you are done. i love the color choices and i cannot offer any advice, i think you have this one under control! fantastic use of positive attitude...every 4th one which i call a win...
congrats on what you have completed so far! its going to be stunning!

Tartan 03-07-2013 09:13 AM

​It may have been an ambitious pattern but you are doing really well so far! Give yourself a BIG pat on the back!

Keep Them In Stitches 03-07-2013 09:14 AM

OMG, Deb, this is just beautiful. I have never tried anything like this. Your color choices are wonderful. Please post more pictures as you go along with your quilt. Gorgeous.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 03-07-2013 09:14 AM

I don't know why you are here. You don't need us. You've got that one under control. Can't wait to see the finished project.

leatheflea 03-07-2013 09:18 AM

LOL...you go girl you're doing wonderfully! My goodness for the first one you go all out!

Joset 03-07-2013 09:20 AM

oh your doing great that is so pretty.