Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My First Quilt off the long arm...whew! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-quilt-off-long-arm-whew-t247328.html)

dilyn 05-24-2014 12:44 PM

My First Quilt off the long arm...whew!

6 Attachment(s)
This has been a busy spring for me. Yard work always takes over my live in the springtime! Something wonderful came into my life last month! We finally bought a long arm!!! Oh my, I am so intimidated by it, but I've been practicing on my 'uglies' (fabric I bought so long ago and now I wonder why did I buy that???) So I decided I needed to take the bull (long arm) by the horns and make a quilt that I could use. DH and I live in a house that is too big for 2 people but we love it here and it's great for company.(My 3 DS, my DD and my Mom were here for a quilting fest for over a week! What a blast we had! Anyway when it's just the 2 of us, we turn off central air and use room air conditioners in the rooms we normally use. I wanted to hang a quilt in the entryway to block cool air from going into the formal living room and dining room. It took less than 2 weeks to complete it. You can probably tell that I 'ad libbed' it together. After it was pieced, I decided I didn't like the stark white with the black and red, so I mixed up some watery brownish craft paint and painted it. That improved it a lot!
Quilting is mostly just stipple and circles. I'm finding it difficult to make rounded shapes and things tend to get squared off and my circles have flat tops! I did see some improvement by the time I finished it, so all in all I am happy with the results. This one will probably become a 'picnic quilt' someday when I have time and proficiency on 'Lizzie' to make another one!

SewExtremeSeams 05-24-2014 12:48 PM

It's very pretty. Enjoy your new long arm.

What program do you use to put words in your photos?

Tartan 05-24-2014 01:01 PM

Congratulations on your new machine! I really like your quilt for the doorway!

Daylesewblessed 05-24-2014 01:39 PM

Your doorway quilt is a work of art and coordinates so well with the wall color!

CharlotteO 05-24-2014 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed (Post 6729754)
Your doorway quilt is a work of art and coordinates so well with the wall color!

Love the quilt and envy you your Tin Lizzie, just color me green.

debcavan 05-24-2014 02:44 PM

It takes a bit to make friends with your longarm. The second quilt will be faster and easier than the first and the 100th will be an absolute breeze. I love the quilt.

QuiltnNan 05-24-2014 04:27 PM

nicely done

erstan947 05-24-2014 04:32 PM

Nicely done.....you are well on your way. You quilting looks great!

cathyvv 05-24-2014 04:37 PM

Cute quilt and the quilting looks great. I love how you're using the quilt, too. I've used sheets for backing, too. It turns out nice as long as I don't use a 100% polyester sheet. Last thought, if you get tired of the front you can just turn the back to the front.

QUILTNMO 05-24-2014 05:05 PM

very nice!!!