Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My First Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-quilt-t33391.html)

mountain-moma 01-06-2010 04:47 PM

What are rag quilt scissors?i don't think i've seen them

Luv2sew4fun 01-06-2010 05:09 PM

VERY nice job! I think it came out great!!!!

Luv2sew4fun 01-06-2010 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO
That is a very nice denim raggy quilt! Never heard of bleach writing...how is that done?

Clorox pen??

Debbie1 01-06-2010 05:17 PM

What a wonderful quilt!

tebill 01-06-2010 06:48 PM

I bought a kit from a store in Edmonton, Alberta. It contained plastic bottles with various sizes of tips. You put the liquid soap used in dishwashers - but it apparently has to be white - in the bottles and simply write. There are several tips so that you can make your letters wide or narrow. I wrote on about ten squares. As the bleach that's in the liquid soap dries, the writing shows up very clearly. After I finished sewing the quilt, I washed and dried it several times to make it fray. The writing stayed the same as it looked when it dried the very first time (the initial writing). I know that in some hardware stores they sell plastic bottles with various tips for gluing. They might work.

tebill 01-06-2010 06:53 PM

I used "6 1/2" Rag Quilting Snips VP7" and the brand that I have is Heritage Cutlery. I had forgotten that I owned them (had put them away for that future date that I might make a raggedy edge quilt) and found them about halfway through all the cutting for the fraying. I was going through one of my sewing drawers looking for any kind of scissor that might work. My hands were so sore from cutting and I had some blisters! I was using spring loaded scissors at the time. Once I found these wonderful scissors, I whizzed through the rest of the quilt effortlessly! They are simply amazing!

Barb_MO 01-06-2010 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by tebill
I bought a kit from a store in Edmonton, Alberta. It contained plastic bottles with various sizes of tips. You put the liquid soap used in dishwashers - but it apparently has to be white - in the bottles and simply write. There are several tips so that you can make your letters wide or narrow. I wrote on about ten squares. As the bleach that's in the liquid soap dries, the writing shows up very clearly. After I finished sewing the quilt, I washed and dried it several times to make it fray. The writing stayed the same as it looked when it dried the very first time (the initial writing). I know that in some hardware stores they sell plastic bottles with various tips for gluing. They might work.

Thanks. I haven't had a dishwasher for many years...didn't know they made a liquid soap for the dishwasher. have to look for that.

Barb_MO 01-06-2010 07:40 PM

I have the rag quilt snips, mine are Fiskars. I don't know how I ever did the snipping before. I find lots of uses for the snips since I have dropped both pairs of my Ginghers on the tile floor in the past month.

amma 01-06-2010 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
I love rag quilts! And that is too a "true" quilt.

My sentiments exactly!!! :D:D:D

This is an awesome denim quilt!!! I love what you did for embellishing it too 8-)8-)8-) Good job :thumbup:

Pickles 01-06-2010 10:05 PM

A Fantastic Quilt , I love the bleach effect also will have to try that on my sons Bluejeans Quilt soon, thanks for sharing your Quilt pic with us.