Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My Most Confusing Quilt by Danmar (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-most-confusing-quilt-danmar-t40350.html)

danmar 03-22-2010 02:12 PM

8 Attachment(s)
I had this brillant idea one day to make my SIL a green quilt, since that's her favorite color, for Christmas. I decided to make it out of 8 Point Stars done in different colors of green.
Thus began my most confusing quilt. I worked on it and made several 9" blocks and it looked great! Until... When it started to get big, it was too busy. So, I had another brillant idea! I'd make 6" 8 Point Stars (all the same) and put in as alternating blocks. Yeah! It looked great! Until.... When it started getting big, it was too busy too! There was just too much there!

So, I started messing around with different layouts, trying to figure out what to do. The colors in these pictures is awful, except for the little 6" star. It's the material used for the lattice, cornerstones and border. It shows the real colors.

I also had to decide on the background material. I loved the aqua, it looked really good in the 'true' colors. But, since the quilt was for my SIL and her favorite color is green, I went with the green. I finally got it all figured out and got the top made.
It turned out beautiful. On Christmas, my SIL was so happy!
She loves it. She deserves it. I also made her a little quilted bed pillow. By the way, the finished King size quilt is 110" x 110".

Sorry this is so long and that there are soooo many pictures, and this isn't even all of them! I learned alot doing this quilt. One thing that I learned is that if you really want to do something, just keep trying and eventually you'll get it right. Just never give up.

Green Star Confusion July 2009
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23353[/ATTACH]

Green Star Confusion Possible Layouts
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23354[/ATTACH]

More possible layouts
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23355[/ATTACH]

And What Color???? Aqua or Green???
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23356[/ATTACH]

6" Star with True Colors showing!!! :o)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23357[/ATTACH]

January 2010 On Janet's Bed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23358[/ATTACH]

Close Up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23504[/ATTACH]

The Finished Top Nov. 16, 2009
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23561[/ATTACH]

Marjpf 03-22-2010 02:17 PM

I like the first of the possible layouts. The cornerstones tie it all together.

thequilterslink 03-22-2010 02:28 PM

Beautiful quilt, pays to hang in there and keep going sometimes.

Barbm 03-22-2010 02:31 PM

what did you do with the other star blocks?

this turned out gorgeous. I have some of the same green fabric.

danmar 03-22-2010 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Barbm
what did you do with the other star blocks?

this turned out gorgeous. I have some of the same green fabric.

I still have them stuffed in a drawer with other left overs and WIP for someday. I love the different fabrics.

susiequilt 03-22-2010 02:55 PM

I like the finished product a lot!
I'm with you on the first being too busy!
I'm glad you hung in there and fixed it so she will like it.

shequilts 03-22-2010 02:57 PM

I love green too, so it would fit perfectly here. You did a very nice job. 'Looks very well made. I know your SIL was pleased.

Jim's Gem 03-22-2010 03:09 PM

Beautiful quilt. It was fun to see your progress/decision pictures!!

krazy4quilts 03-22-2010 03:12 PM

That is stunning. I do not think busy at all in all the other pictures.

Justquilting 03-22-2010 03:27 PM

Love how you finished it!!