Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My new "fan design" quilting frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-new-%22fan-design%22-quilting-frame-t10266.html)

Louise C 08-16-2008 06:31 AM

3 Attachment(s)
As promised in another thread, here are some pictures of my new "fan design" quilting frame. I have to make the sleeves for the rails.

For the picture, I put my bedcover on it to show you how this works
[ATTACH=CONFIG]44454[/ATTACH]

Close-up of the "fan design" where we insert the rails
[ATTACH=CONFIG]54253[/ATTACH]

Side view of one of the pannels - there are feet that inserts at the bottom making a cross, to stabilize the whole frame
[ATTACH=CONFIG]55420[/ATTACH]

kathy 08-16-2008 07:11 AM

so do you have all the layers basted together when you load it? If you do, what is the other board for? I had one simular many moons ago but it was bought at a garage sale then given to me and nobody knew how to operate it! I was very young then and not so interested in quilting so I got rid of it

mgshaw 08-16-2008 07:21 AM

I have never seen one like that!!! Very nice! Let us know how it works out!

Riley 08-16-2008 07:31 AM

I've never seen one like this before but I do think I understand how the "workings" operate.
It would be similiar to Mrs. Grace, the big floor frame I am stitching the Sunbonnet on, except Mrs. Grace has spring loaded rails w/"wheels" to roll forward.

There are 4 rails, right?
1.The very back rail (left side) is for the batting.
2.The 2nd rail up from the back (barely visible in the top px) is for the top.
3.The 3rd railing (almost middle) is for the backing.
4.The last rail, bottom front) is for all of them to come together.
Is this correct?

So when you roll the quilt to move to the next area, you will need to unroll a bit off each rail & let hang. Then get to the front rail & roll forward.
Is this anywhere correct because I am guessing by just looking?

This is an interesting design!

Riley

kathy 08-16-2008 07:42 AM

so you start out with everything rolled up on a seperate rail?

Riley 08-16-2008 07:49 AM

Kathy, that is the way mine works but I am not sure on this one? I've never seen this design before.

With 4 rails, there's absolutely NO basting because of each layer being rolled separately!

R

humbird 08-16-2008 07:54 AM

How interesting. Very different from anything I have ever seen. Is it homemade? Or is there a company that offers this. It would be very versitile for different sized quilts I would think. Let us know how easy it is to roll the quilt. I think I like it!

Phyllis

humbird 08-16-2008 08:06 AM

I Googled "Fan Quilting Frame" and one came up on Ebay. Shows several pictures with a quilt in the frame. Looks like it would be great for storage. Have fun with this Louise!

Phyllis

Riley 08-16-2008 08:21 AM

Well, I got one thing right & that was that the quilt comes together at the front rail! :mrgreen:

I hope you enjoy this unique frame. I really love mine & I do not mind that it is big. I like my quilt stretched out like these allow.

R

kathy 08-16-2008 08:22 AM

I wish I had hung onto the one I had, I could probably figure it out now!