Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My tube quilt "Jewels in the Garden" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-tube-quilt-jewels-garden-t171015.html)

himnherr 12-05-2011 07:49 AM

My tube quilt "Jewels in the Garden"

4 Attachment(s)
This was my first attempt at a tube quilt. I must say it'll probably be my last. I wasn't crazy about the method. Maybe if I would've liked the fabric better I may have enjoyed the process more, not sure about that.
I made this for some friends of ours who did such a kindness for us in October when a very dear friend died that we just felt it should be recognized by making them a throw for their living room- just the right size for snuggling under to watch TV. Never having been to their home I asked them colors in their LR. She said black Victorian style couches with flowers in jewel tones. Green carpet and grape colored lamp shades. Well, that was kind of a hard combo for me to wrap my brain around as I am more into fall colors. But, I went on a search and came up with this. I'm hoping amethyst and citrine will be jewel-toned enough. haha! I used a stencil to make the pinwheel flower in the center, then I fmq'd a vine around each pinwheel, all on my home machine. I did each square separately so when you look at the back it shows a kind of a gridwork. I like the back almost better than the front. :-)
One great thing is- she's a bling bling type person, so the brightness will appeal to her. AND she can't even sew on a button so she will LOVE the fact that it is handmade for her. I washed and dried it so it's already soft and scrunched up- ready for use. She has many other talents, but sewing isn't one of them.
I have to admit, I do love the label. I traced a graphic off of MSWord and made my own with hand embroidery.

Podunk Princess 12-05-2011 07:58 AM

Beautiful quilt. I especially love the label you created! Your friends are going to love it.

jansquiltn 12-05-2011 08:23 AM

I think that it turned out great. What didn't you like about the process?

cuppi duke 12-05-2011 08:28 AM

Very pretty. I am not crazy about the process of tube quilting either but you did a great job.

Lori S 12-05-2011 08:33 AM

I'm still on the fence about tube quilting and completley understand your thoughts about the process. I equally would have had a tough time with the colors your friend described. But you made a beautiful quilt !!!! My hats off to you for completing this challenge.

himnherr 12-05-2011 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by jansquiltn (Post 4753260)
I think that it turned out great. What didn't you like about the process?

I'm not really sure how to answer it. I've made a few Turning 20, various star blocks, dresden plate, depression block, square in a square, and I've enjoyed those processes, but the tube quilting where you sew it as a tube then cut it open and then sew those pieces into squares- I don't know exactly why I didn't care for it- I just didn't. haha! I know- wacky, huh!? I think I could enjoy making a table topper out of it, but just not another whole quilt. But, some people really seem to enjoy it- so don't let me discourage them! :-)

Sandy64 12-05-2011 09:43 AM

Love it! They will too.

quiltsRfun 12-05-2011 10:01 AM

Love it! The black sashing really makes it pop.

rvsfan 12-05-2011 10:07 AM

It's a beautiful quilt and label.

jillnjo 12-05-2011 10:08 AM

You have made a beautiful quilt for your friend!! Love the purple.