Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My very very very VERY first quilt top I ever made (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-very-very-very-very-first-quilt-top-i-ever-made-t94265.html)

Airwick156 01-26-2011 07:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I was digging through a few boxes of stuff that I pulled out of our storage unit yesterday and came across a quilt top that I made. THE very very very first one I made. Now that I look at it, it looks AWFUL. Its only a bunch of squares that I cut up from fabric that I made my husband some shirts with and some that I made Scrub Uniform tops for me when I was working.
I can remember sitting in my little sewing room, and I mean little. Most peoples bathrooms are bigger then that little room was...in fact an outhouse isnt too much smaller then it was. But it did have windows on on the left wall facing my neighbors back yard and one on the wall facing out into my backyard and a closet not bigger then a refrigerator but it did have built in shelves inside it. I was BRAND new at sewing anything. Well anyways, here is a picture of the block quilt I made, notice the seams don't match? My husband said that I should put a 4 inch border all around it, put a backing on it and he will use it to cover up in his recliner. I was going to cut it up and make it into an I Spy quilt and he flat out told me no that it was a "souvenier" from my beginning sewing days. Gotta love the man. :)

Notice how my seams were very uneven? Man good thing I don't sew like that anymore.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]168758[/ATTACH]

Nasty uneven seams. Haha..talk about a blooper!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]168759[/ATTACH]

Grammy o'5 01-26-2011 07:21 PM

LOL! :D :-D We all probably have one like that!

Murphy 01-26-2011 07:21 PM

I like your DH. This is a treasure and hopefully you can view it as such. It was the beginning of your now passion and a gentle reminder of how far you have come. Border, bind and let him put it on his recliner (smile). He is telling you he loves and respects it. Thanks for sharing.

wolfkitty 01-26-2011 07:22 PM

Hey, we all have to learn somehow! If your hubby wants it as a souvenir chair quilt, I would go for it. You will know how much progress you have made. (And show us some of your newer stuff, too!)

Leota 01-26-2011 07:25 PM

He's proud of that top... finish it for him and enjoy it...

cabbagepatchkid 01-26-2011 07:28 PM

Well, I think it's wonderful!!!!

My grandmother (my father is 94 yrs old--it was his mother) made quilts for all of us grandchildren when we got married or had a baby. She never, ever used any kind of sewing machine, I think she pieced her quilts in whichever way the fabrics fit together (no patterns), she sewed the squares together with crochet thread :shock: and with really big stitches, used pieced together pieces of flannel for the backs and tied the layers together with yarn but we all loved her quilts. I still have at least 2 large sized quilts and several medium sized quilts....we use them all the time and they are still going strong. Don't cut up your quilt--love it and use it just the way it is :thumbup:

dkabasketlady 01-26-2011 07:28 PM

We all have to start somewhere!! I'm with your hubby in not cutting it up and putting a border on it for covering his chair. Your DH is definitely your #1 FAN!!!

Keepmelaffn 01-26-2011 07:31 PM

I'm with Murphy ^ ...I think we've all come a long way from our very first quilt...I didn't even finish mine...sent it out-of-state for my mom to finish it (mom's are good like that :thumbup: )...

Cyn 01-26-2011 07:43 PM

My first quilt has knots all over the back because I didn't know any better. I was self taught :)

MadQuilter 01-26-2011 07:46 PM

Isn't it fun to look at your "first?"

I saw my first boyfriend a while ago and realized that the first is sometimes something (or someone) we look back on with fond memories but appreciate that we have moved on.