Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   my weekend so far (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-weekend-so-far-t166593.html)

MrsBoats 11-06-2011 12:33 PM

my weekend so far

3 Attachment(s)
Besides a bunch of basic cleaning up and organizing (so *that's* where that went to! :D ) I did actually get some sewing done.

First up-meet HENrietta Pincushion. She was an Art Fabric Studio kit-directions and beads, not fabric. She turned out a lot bigger than I expected, so I may experiment with scaling her down a bit. In the meantime, the starch on her beak and tail is still drying. She'll stay with me awhile, and then will likely move on to my aunt's house with Santa.

Today's project was a quilt kit I bought this summer. My dad's Walmart was in the process of clearing space for their soon-to-be-arriving cutting tables, so everything was being clearanced. It's ugly, but for $10, it was good practice. This kit is called Teal City Random, but I'm calling Amazingly Eighties... I had a jacket a lot like this when I was 17 or so. The back and binding will be white with black/grey/teal paint splatters on it.

This is my very first ever quilt (we're not talking about the disastrous attempt at a baby quilt 20 years ago), and I'm actually scheduled to take a My First Quilt class this week. Nothing like jumping in at the deep end! It went together pretty quick and easy, but it's clear my cutting technique needs some work. All of the points that are supposed to match, do, so that's progress.

And, because I was bored and tired of cleaning, I sat down with one of the batting sandwiches I use to set foot pressure and tension, put the hopper foot on, and tried FMQ. The result was not entirely bad for a rank beginner, but clearly, I need a LOT of practice. Still, I didn't have any issues, beyond not having a plan about where I was going to sew next. Is there such thing as practice patterns for FMQ? Having a pattern to follow, instead of making it up as I go along, would probably help while I get the hang of it.

fidgety 11-06-2011 12:43 PM

cute. love that chicken

Sunnie 11-06-2011 12:52 PM

I, too, love that chicken. I may need to find a pattern for HENrietta.

MrsBoats 11-06-2011 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sunnie (Post 4642282)
I, too, love that chicken. I may need to find a pattern for HENrietta.

HENrietta came from Three Sisters Fabric (threesistersfabric.com) and she's called a 'flying chicken tool caddy'.

athomenow 11-06-2011 01:31 PM

I love the chicken. It would look great with my other chicks!! Might have to try that one. I also love the teal.

Becca Bear 11-06-2011 01:35 PM

Henrietta is just adorable and your quilt is so pretty! Great work!

lynnegreen 11-06-2011 01:36 PM

Henrietta is fabulous. The quilt is not bad. Donate it to a local shelter or church or even a hospital. And, have an absolute blast at your quilt class.

QUILTNMO 11-06-2011 01:40 PM

the chicken is so cute and i like the quilt nice colors good job

Sweeterthanwine 11-06-2011 01:41 PM

I love that chicken!! I have chickens in my kitchen and they are beginning to spill over into my family room. Going to have to make room for more. I think I will get that pattern. Thanks for sharing and yours are just adorable. The quilt is nice to and I love the teal colors.

Jim's Gem 11-06-2011 03:14 PM

Nice work!