Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   need help with quilting this top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/need-help-quilting-top-t33640.html)

Barbm 01-09-2010 07:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
here is my latest "creation". It is 71" x 71". There are 9 blocks. The blocks are 18" square, the sashing are 2", the border is 5". I laid it out the bed while I try to figure out how to quilt it. This is for hubby so I want it special. He asked for FMQ, which is his favorite.

I thought about fmq on the 5" border, a cable in the 2"- or reverse that- and totally unsure of how to accent the blocks. I thought of taking the 2" blocks, which have a brown fabric that looks kind of like wood and embroidering a coal bucket, shovel, etc. Items that were used in their work.

Any/all comments are greatly appreciated!

P.S. no pattern to this- I made it up. The coal miner I got from someplace online, the lady gave me permission to use it. Hubby and I designed the coal car from pics he had.

Last- if this turns out nice (I'm not exactly crazy about it right now) how do I convince him it's a one of a kind and he shouldn't use it?

mining quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]64868[/ATTACH]

coal car square
[ATTACH=CONFIG]64869[/ATTACH]

coal miner square
[ATTACH=CONFIG]64870[/ATTACH]

Boston1954 01-09-2010 07:48 AM

I was wondering........what color of thread do you plan to use? I made one a year ago with dog themed fabric and quilted bones, foot prints, hydrants, and dog houses on it, all over the doggies and everything. With yours though, I would not want to mess up the lovely work you have done, so I would go around the neat miner, and car. Maybe more lanterns, canaries?

Esqmommy 01-09-2010 08:52 AM

I'm so not a good quilter...but I'm popping in to say I love your quilt!!

daisyboo9 01-09-2010 09:00 AM

The first thing that popped into my head was to echo quilt your blocks, they are so neatly done, I think it would enhance them.

DA Mayer 01-09-2010 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by daisyboo9
The first thing that popped into my head was to echo quilt your blocks, they are so neatly done, I think it would enhance them.

Does this mean great minds think alike? You typed in first.

Barbm 01-09-2010 09:36 AM

just looked again- what about some pebbles around the base of the car and guy? Would that be enough for in the block?

I am so lost on this! I want the result to be great. It was a UFO from last Jan. so I really want to finish it. I wish it would call to me what it wants.

Barbm 01-09-2010 09:37 AM

and- I don't know what color thread to use! ARGHHH! Help please!

Esqmommy 01-09-2010 09:44 AM

Actually, I'd send it to GreenFairy and tell her to go to town! She's pretty darn talented, and her rates are quite reasonable!

littlehud 01-09-2010 06:58 PM

I think echo quilting the blocks would be very nice.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-10-2010 10:35 AM

Love the quilt.