Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   new afghan for me from my daughter!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/new-afghan-me-my-daughter-t7047.html)

barnbum 05-11-2008 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rachel just finished her first year of college. She's not the partying type (whew), so when she wasn't studying (she did a LOT of that--Bio/Chem major--3.86 GPA :D ) she was often crocheting or knitting. She needed to keep busy, so decided to make one for her dear old mama. I picked the colors and the design, but she decided which colors went where. I LOVE the edging.

And it matches my chair so perfectly. :wink:

annmarie 05-11-2008 02:07 PM

Pretty cool Mother's Day present. Pretty cool daughter too to do that for her mom!! It's GREAT!!!

tlrnhi 05-11-2008 02:08 PM

That's pretty! And what a nice comfy afghan to curl up with, huh?
What a great kid you have!!

My mom knitted and crocheted (that word just doesn't look right).
For wedding gifts, she would make everyone an afghan. They loved it. She made one for me, it's a cream color and the girls call it the "Vanilla Blanket". It's 21 years old and still looks like brand new. It travels in the suitcases when we move and if something were to happen to it, I wouldn't know what to do. I just wish I could do that. I can knit, but not crochet, my oldest can......

Knot Sew 05-11-2008 02:24 PM

Beautiful afgan.......you can tell by the afgan an gpa that she makes good use of her time . smart girl...and pretty :D

sandpat 05-11-2008 02:39 PM

Very snuggley looking afghan you have there Karla. Looks like you "done good" raising that one! :D :D

collettakay 05-11-2008 03:01 PM

She did a really good job! She sounds like a great kid.

jacquemoe 05-11-2008 03:07 PM

That was so thoughtful of your daughter to do that for you, especially at her age. You two must be great friends too.

barnbum 05-11-2008 03:19 PM

Jackie--we are good friends. She had a hard time with homesickness when she first started college so we talked on the phone every single day. The hard part were weekends--there was NOTHING at this college to do, which made it so hard. Plus she graduated from high school a year early so she was only 17. So we spent a LOT of time talking to help her work it through. Plus she came home every other weekend. It was about a 2 hour ride to get her--but my husband has been out of work since July, so he was able to get her. Once she gained some friends, everything changed. I was lucky if I got an email every other day. :wink: She's transferring to a college that has all kinds of weekend activities next semester--AND it's only an hour away.

I spent a day with her when I had a week off of school and it felt so nice to have my 18 year old girl so excited about spending the day with her mother. We went horseback riding. :D

tlrnhi 05-11-2008 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
Jackie--we are good friends. She had a hard time with homesickness when she first started college so we talked on the phone every single day. The hard part were weekends--there was NOTHING at this college to do, which made it so hard. Plus she graduated from high school a year early so she was only 17. So we spent a LOT of time talking to help her work it through. Plus she came home every other weekend. It was about a 2 hour ride to get her--but my husband has been out of work since July, so he was able to get her. Once she gained some friends, everything changed. I was lucky if I got an email every other day. :wink: She's transferring to a college that has all kinds of weekend activities next semester--AND it's only an hour away.

I spent a day with her when I had a week off of school and it felt so nice to have my 18 year old girl so excited about spending the day with her mother. We went horseback riding. :D

Isn't it great when you can sort of drop the parenting thing and become friends with your kids? I love hanging out with both my girls. Shopping, lunch, just girly things. Now, sometimes Laurens' hubby does come along, but he's great when we need to buy clothes....he gives us the thumbs up or down on them. Heck, he'll even pick out the clothes for us! lol

Barb M 05-11-2008 05:02 PM

Awe, very beautiful! :)