Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   New Quilt I am not happy with (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/new-quilt-i-am-not-happy-t112171.html)

Jannie 03-30-2011 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am making this lap size quilt. I have it sewn together but not happy with it. I am thinking about taking it apart, discarding the yellow & changing it out for a different color. Should I put a border on it & if so what? Thanks for your input.

Naturalmama 03-30-2011 08:26 PM

IMHO, I'd definitely do a double border - using one of the florals along with the yellow. I think using the yellow on the border would balance it. Not that I know from personal experience yet, but from what I've read and seen here, the final quilting can really change the feel of the quilt - and take a quilt you're not too sure of and make it really special! (So I'd say don't take it apart!)

irishrose 03-30-2011 08:28 PM

I think it will look great when it's finished. I'd use a narrow turquoise border with a wider border of either of the prints in the quilt. I like the one with bubbles, no, I like them both. Which one do you 1) have enough available or 2) like the best?

pamkasperi 03-30-2011 08:29 PM

I would use the turquoise or the purple that is in the flowers for a border - I think that will tone down the yellow some and really pull the whole thing together....

Unique Creations 03-30-2011 08:45 PM

I personally like the yellow and would not take it apart. You could also make a double border of solid purple and blue to match the prints.

rushdoggie 03-30-2011 08:49 PM

you could also quilt with colored thread in the yellow areas to bring them out more...

jillaine 03-30-2011 08:50 PM

If you really like the (not yellow) fabrics and really want a quilt that showcases them, then yes, I would pull it apart and remove the yellow. (And I would choose one or more of the colors in the print fabric if you were going to return to the same design as you have.)

I say this coming from having experienced similar dissatisfaction; if you KNOW you're not going to be happy with the results, start over.

-- Jillaine

earthwalker 03-31-2011 12:00 AM

I like it....very pretty and fresh. Once you decide on borders (I would tend towards the deeper purple and a lighter blue from the patterned fabric) then quilt it, it will shine. At the moment you are looking at it in it's "flat" state. Once the quilting is done, I think you will change your mind.

SueDor 03-31-2011 02:33 AM

Don't take it apart unless your really sure. But what I would do is get material that matches the dark purple and maybe the dark green(at least that is what I see in the picture) and use those as borders. Don't cut it yet, place the material next to the quilt and see what is says. Leave it there for a day or two and when you pass it, it will tell you if you like it or it needs to be changed around a bit.I think it will turn out great.Good luck!

quilticing 03-31-2011 03:12 AM

Quilt it with turquoise to tone down the yellow?