Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   New WIP Cancer quilt - #4 of 6 I need to do (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/new-wip-cancer-quilt-4-6-i-need-do-t110772.html)

pamkasperi 03-25-2011 10:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok so this is the new cancer quilt I am doing - it can either be 6 squares or 12 - I had 4 done but can only use 3 of them. Each square is a different color to represent the different awareness ribbons.

I thought this would be harder than it is because the pieces are smaller than I have ever used - but it only takes about 3/8 of each color in the square - actually less but I bout 3/8 of a yard.

When I am done I found this really cool leopard print that has yellow; black; pint; lavendar; pearl; teal; grey; zebra print and jade in it - almost all the colors I'm using if I make it to 12 panels - I will use that as the border and sashing between the blocks...it will be busy...but the kids wanted it.

Ok the last photo is the lavender - I loved the look and feel of the material...BUT the flower print - every needle stitch shredded the material - it stretched something fierce and wouldn't work with my sewing machine or serger...so I'll be re-doing it.

I have to say the pattern is easy and I've used the tube method to make the triangle/squares. Machine stitching its taken about an hour per square to cut and sew.

I'll post as I get more - I have soccer in the a.m. so I'll lose about 6 hours of quilting time for my other passion!

all 4 squares but I can't use the top left one
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175045[/ATTACH]

top left/lavendar (purple) material is horrible
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175046[/ATTACH]

milp04 03-25-2011 10:26 PM

Hi Pam,

The blocks are looking good.

Ok the last photo is the lavender - I loved the look and feel of the material...BUT the flower print - every needle stitch shredded the material - it stretched something fierce and wouldn't work with my sewing machine or serger...so I'll be re-doing it.

The lavendar flower print is probably not 100% cotton. For this type of fabric you should probably think about getting a very lightweight fusable interfacing. Fuse to the fabric, then proceed to cut and sew the block together. You can sometimes tell if a fabric will ravel at the ends by testing it in the store by pulling against the cut edge. (Not so nice to do, but better than buying difficult to work with fabric.)

Pam M

pamkasperi 03-25-2011 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by milp04
Hi Pam,

The blocks are looking good.

The lavendar flower print is probably not 100% cotton. For this type of fabric you should probably think about getting a very lightweight fusable interfacing. Fuse to the fabric, then proceed to cut and sew the block together. You can sometimes tell if a fabric will ravel at the ends by testing it in the store by pulling against the cut edge. (Not so nice to do, but better than buying difficult to work with fabric.)

Pam M

Pam M - thanks - I'm trying - I like this pattern and I don't know if purposfully making it busy is good or not but as I said the kids wanted it that way when they saw the really nice quiet pink quilt online.

I pulled on the fabric and when they cut it there was no ravel or anything - even when I cut it - it seemed fine...it wasn't until the needles went in and it just started shredding...

It was on sale so I was out 97 cents for the flower material and $1.15 for the light solid - so I will just redo it with a better material...the part that was frustrating is I knew I'd be handling it alot so I pulled at all the fabric I got first to make sure it didn't stretch or pull....

Oh well live and learn - I'm just glad it was an inexpensive lesson!

earthwalker 03-25-2011 10:37 PM

Coming along nicely....I use a lot of different materials, but before committing time/energy I get a square and test how it joins to the other fabric, do a few lines of stitching, tug on it, put a bit of batting and an old bit of sheet (pretending it's a quilt) and do a bit of stitching...It's not even a block, just a square of a few inches. You can even test wash/dry to see how it goes there...sometimes these different fabrics really change once washed/dried. Then if it works, you can use it.

Bit boring...but saves drama in the long run...Happy quilting.

pamkasperi 03-25-2011 10:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok so here are my other fabrics (haven't found the pearl fabric I like = lung cancer) and if I go with the 12 panels I have to find 4 other colors I like!

grey ribbon flower border = Brain Cancer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175055[/ATTACH]

zebra print for the ribbon black border = melanoma
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175056[/ATTACH]

border/sashing - has each of the colors of the ribbons in it
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175057[/ATTACH]

new lavendar material = all cancers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175058[/ATTACH]

this is a jade colored material with cooridnating mod = liver cancer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175059[/ATTACH]

emerald46 03-26-2011 04:05 AM

That is looking so good! Neat pattern and your fabric choices are wonderful.

samifel 03-26-2011 04:33 AM

I like it. I do a quilt each year for the Relay for Life and was thinking about the ribbons, but appliqueing them on. I like this better. Do you mind if I use this pattern?

pamkasperi 03-26-2011 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by samifel
I like it. I do a quilt each year for the Relay for Life and was thinking about the ribbons, but appliqueing them on. I like this better. Do you mind if I use this pattern?

not at all - I got the idea from: http://www.rosiescalicocupboard.com/...OfConcern.html

I just changed the method of how I put it together

samifel 03-26-2011 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by pamkasperi

Originally Posted by samifel

not at all - I got the idea from: http://www.rosiescalicocupboard.com/...OfConcern.html

I just changed the method of how I put it together

Thanks.

debcavan 03-26-2011 05:52 PM

They look good