Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Opinions please!! this just doesn't look right to me!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/opinions-please-just-doesnt-look-right-me-t217723.html)

Barb_MO 03-29-2013 06:18 PM

I like the drunkard's path and the border, but the part that would bother me is the light of the drunkard's path looks like a very stark white and the border fabric looks like it has off white or even tan. I think I would find something that has the white/white in it. I think it would look nice as someone mentioned, a plaid that might pull in a complimentary color.

rainsprite 03-29-2013 06:21 PM

I think the border disappears next to your blocks. I would suggest a flange or narrow border in black to stand up to the design, then add two borders, 1st 3", 2nd 5". I think a strong light inner and maroon outer with same color binding beyond the initial flange.

Just my opinion - love your fabrics. I HATE TO RUN OUT but sometimes things work out even better that way!!
Thank you so much, I can look at others quilts and be more objective than with my own and alway ask for advise.

HillCountryGal 03-29-2013 06:24 PM

I agree with the others... it needs a narrow strip of fabric between the quilt blocks and border.
Try out everything from lights to dark and see what suits your fancy.

VERY nice quilt.

Tartan 03-29-2013 07:20 PM

Do you have enough of the white to put a small border before the other border fabric? I think the border fabric is fine but a small white border first would be even better. Your Drunkard's Path blocks are awesome!

bdship 03-29-2013 07:29 PM

It's very pretty, but I tend to lean to what Sarah posted about the floral border and agree that a solid maroon border would suit it better.

cwessel47 03-29-2013 07:30 PM

I'm thinking that a dark burgundy, narrow border would work. This is a beautiful piece. It works for me just how it is but a stopping point might make the difference. I don't see a white border at all. If you are going from white in the center to off-white in the border.... I think that would be distracting. Solid, or burgundy and black print, for narrow border and binding is my suggestion.

josie bass 03-29-2013 07:43 PM

I think it is beautiful, their is nothing wrong with it. You are a marvelous quilter, do not daught yourself for a minute.

Rose S. 03-29-2013 08:03 PM

The first thing I thought when I read your post and looked at the pics was it needs a narrow inner border in the white...or gray...but then I almost always want and inner border. Then I read on and see lots of others think it needs an inner border though some thing dark and some think light. I would audition both if I had them.

Leslie333 03-29-2013 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Christine- (Post 5964030)
yes, Joyce has it right on...it needs a small white border between the main section and the border.

This was my thought as well. Either white or black, but a small border before the floral border would frame the main part of the quilt.

alikat110 03-30-2013 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Christine- (Post 5964030)
yes, Joyce has it right on...it needs a small white border between the main section and the border.

Ditto what these ladies said!