Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Original Pattern - Little Sailboats at Sea :) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/original-pattern-little-sailboats-sea-t201961.html)

x7lillies 09-30-2012 03:59 PM

Original Pattern - Little Sailboats at Sea :)

5 Attachment(s)
I saw the sailboat block a while back and thought it was too cute to put off. I have a craft show coming up in December, so I made this for my inventory. The boat fabric is a wood grain print, the sails are green and white stripes, the sky is light blue with cream circles on it, and the "water" prints are a blue dot print and a teal damask print. I think the choice of yellow for the border really brings it to life. I'm so happy with this one! This is also my first attempt at HSTs, and most of my points are good on this one. The back is a really nice batik, deep blue with a turquoise square print on top.

This quilt is also my first attempt at free motion quilting. I tried to mark out the waves and "wind" with a chalk pencil, but I think the one I bought was defective or something. It wouldn't mark the fabric (I even tried it on a darker fabric), so I just winged it after a few practice tries. Some of the waves are a little less symmetrical that I'd like, but I think it fits the "whimsical" feel for a child's quilt anyway. This is a crib sized quilt 35" x 55".

Thanks for checking it out!

Blinkokr 09-30-2012 04:00 PM

Just adorable, great job and thank you for sharing.
Have a Blessed day
Ellen

QM 09-30-2012 04:03 PM

I like it. I often use that wave pattern. While I don't think they have to be PERFECT to do the job, I find that it helps to draw it with a finger or a pen a few times before I start the quilting.

Diane007 09-30-2012 04:11 PM

nice sail boats........

Sandy64 09-30-2012 04:29 PM

Darling..Sandy 64

QuiltnNan 09-30-2012 05:57 PM

nicely done

dawayesmeeth 09-30-2012 09:47 PM

Well good and wonderful quilt sharing here, thanks for sharing with us. That sky blue color simple work is looking great and awesome.

Jingle 10-01-2012 05:26 AM

Very pretty, quilt, quilting and colors.

Grandma Peg 10-01-2012 05:30 AM

What a darling quilt. Love the fabrics you chose.

x7lillies 10-01-2012 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by QM (Post 5552821)
I like it. I often use that wave pattern. While I don't think they have to be PERFECT to do the job, I find that it helps to draw it with a finger or a pen a few times before I start the quilting.

Thanks for the tip! I'm usually pretty hard on myself, but quilting has taught me to let some things go, lol. At first I wasn't thrilled with a couple of the waves, but then I thought it kind of looked like a Maurice Sendak type of illustration, so I let it be and decided to accept it as it was. Next time, though, I'll do the drawing thing. My main impedance to getting the shape I wanted sometimes was the constraint of my sewing machine. It's just a standard Singer 7467, so moving the fabric was sometimes difficult, especially in the center of the quilt. And once my foot / hand coordination was off, it was easy to get into trouble! I had a much easier time with the "wind" since I could move the quilt in the smaller dimension.

Lessons for next time!