Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   panel and pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/panel-pictures-t182141.html)

JanTx 03-08-2012 10:56 PM

panel and pictures

2 Attachment(s)
I wanted to add pictures to a quilt for a friend who will be starting chemo for breast cancer in the next couple of weeks. It was important to me to have her family in the quilt and to represent her faith somehow.

Panel, pink, green: Northcutt - part of the Stonehenge collection

Black: Moda Bella

Pictures: EQ Printables. VERY easy to work with. Printed 2 pictures per 8.5X11" sheet. Pictures were 5X7. Started out cutting them to 5.5" squares, but the group shots simply wouldn't cooperate with that. So ... adjusted as I could to fit the borders to the panels. I got my friend's daughter-in-law to send me the pictures. She did a great job of collecting a variety of parents, siblings, 3 sons and their families. Note the ultrasound. That grandboy is due in two weeks and I simply did not want him left off! The print is so clear you can read the mom's name and the date on the picture.

Pattern: made it up as I went - nothing to it - just getting those picture borders to fit to the panel- that was a bear! If I could do it again I would adjust more to avoid the extra strips I had to put in to even things out. :(

Quilting: I'm going to machine stitch around the panel and each border. Then I'll put ties in backwards - they'll tie in the back. My friend is the music teacher of a private school - she has those kids from pre-K through grade 8 and has been there long enough to have taught every child. The PE teacher is a friend of mine and she's going to lay it out on a table in the gym and have the kids tie the ties.

Backing - will be the same fabric as the cornerstones. Binding will be the backing brought around to the front.
Size: 57 X 75

I'm at the point where I think the borders are too large and the pictures are too small, but ... it's moving on from here.

Halo 03-08-2012 11:16 PM

It is beautiful to me. You done good on it. Something to be proud of. I know it will be cherished.

mmonohon 03-08-2012 11:24 PM

That is lovely. The combination is perfect.

audsgirl 03-08-2012 11:32 PM

What a wonderful quilt! You did a great job. Good luck to your friend on her treatment.

TanyaL 03-09-2012 12:45 AM

Wonderful gift of love.

mosher92 03-09-2012 12:58 AM

what a beautiful quilt. I have done many photo quilts and each one is different and for different reasons. They are a great gift and I truly love what you have done.

sewgarden 03-09-2012 01:37 AM

You've done a great job and she's going to love it. Hope all goes well with her treatment

Moonglow 03-09-2012 01:43 AM

You have put a lot of thought and love into this quilt. It is truly beautiful and it is sure to be cherished. Best wishes to you and your friend.

paulettepoe 03-09-2012 02:27 AM

So pretty. and such a good idea. Hope your friend does well.

QuiltnNan 03-09-2012 03:42 AM

the individual pics may seem small, but there are enough of them for a good balance with the border sizes. looks great!