Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Passage Quilts ** Photos & Discussion ** (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/passage-quilts-%2A%2A-photos-discussion-%2A%2A-t196407.html)

QuiltE 08-03-2012 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by sguillot (Post 5414815)
This is beautiful and what a good thing to keep as a memory. Could they also be called memoy quilts?

SGuillot ... Passage Quilts are not "keepers".

They are functional, in that they are repeatedly used. The intent is to soften the harshness that you experienced of your husband leaving on the gurney with the large gray blanket. (For some, in a body bag and/or white sheets)

Steady Stiching 08-03-2012 05:43 AM

In the state of Michigan the coverings that are on the body when it is removed from the home is by law mandatory that it be burned due to bodily fluid laws. We were not returned the sheets that were my fathers passage coverings. This information was given to me by the funeral home. Mom wanted her sheet back.
It would be heart breaking to have to burn a quilt unless it was made to be burned. Good information to know.

QuiltE 08-03-2012 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching (Post 5414873)
In the state of Michigan the coverings that are on the body when it is removed from the home is by law mandatory that it be burned due to bodily fluid laws. We were not returned the sheets that were my fathers passage coverings. This information was given to me by the funeral home. Mom wanted her sheet back.
It would be heart breaking to have to burn a quilt unless it was made to be burned. Good information to know.

This is one of the reasons that I have emphasized that before making a Passage Quilt, that discussions be held with those who will be using it.

In some areas the use of body bags are required when removing bodies, and perhaps this is for the same reasons as you have mentioned above? I do know that Passage Quilts have been used over top to make it a gentler process for the family/friends present. Perhaps the Michigan requirements could be met, with the sheets burned, as they are next to the deceased, and then a Passage Quilt overtop? Just a thought ... and certainly laws must be obeyed!

roserips 08-03-2012 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was asked by my sister to make a passage quilt for a friend of a friend of hers. Daughter and fiancee were killed in a car accident just a week before the wedding. They were both in the coast guard and she was very athletic. I was given her t-shirts we also spent time talking about who she was and what she liked. Then I made this memory quilt for her mother. The quilt incorporated her favorite colors as well as the collection of t-shirts. Another way to deal with the grieving process and it meant so much. I have made about 4 of these for different people and they always appreciate them so very much. Using special clothing as a basis to then create a special quilt that was a piece of there loved one. They will never be far away and it will be there to wrap up in and remember.

Rose Burnett 08-03-2012 09:17 AM

QuiltE your quilt was lovely....the butterflies and the neutral colors are quite calming for a family to see. Roserips your
quilt for the family of the car accident victim is also outstanding. Both of you are to be commended for making passages easier for the families. God bless you both.

carolynjo 08-03-2012 11:38 AM

I made a 54 x 60 prayer quilt for a friend. The family insisted that it be used on their mom's casket and removed before burial and returned to them. The family than used it for a sister who died. Now, it is on the sofa in the living room of the oldest daughter in the family until she needs it as her passage quilt. A great idea!

raedar63 08-03-2012 04:25 PM

I love this idea, as a critical care nurse I have put many in the horrid body bags ,I wish we could do this at the hospital......

petlover 08-03-2012 04:27 PM

I had not heard of this before now. It is a lovely way to help the family and residents when someone passes. Thanks for all the information.

#1piecemaker 08-03-2012 04:36 PM

That is such a nice idea! I think I will do just that. Thanks for the info.

debcavan 08-03-2012 05:19 PM

The group I belong to has made 10 so far and more on the way. We started out with nursing homes and assisted livings, the funeral parlors and hospitals. Our pun is that we want to "blanket" the whole River Valley area. We like the idea of the funeral parlors also receiving them since they then use them in the private homes. We have now had the families of two members of our group receive the kindness of the use of these quilts.