Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Passage Quilts ** Photos & Discussion ** (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/passage-quilts-%2A%2A-photos-discussion-%2A%2A-t196407.html)

QuiltE 08-03-2012 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by debcavan (Post 5416215)
The group I belong to has made 10 so far and more on the way. We started out with nursing homes and assisted livings, the funeral parlors and hospitals. Our pun is that we want to "blanket" the whole River Valley area. We like the idea of the funeral parlors also receiving them since they then use them in the private homes. We have now had the families of two members of our group receive the kindness of the use of these quilts.

It's so wonderful what your group has done. And I love the "blanket the whole River Valley area" as a motivator!

Perhaps you would add to this thread and re-post the photos that you have?

QuiltE 08-03-2012 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63 (Post 5416117)
I love this idea, as a critical care nurse I have put many in the horrid body bags ,I wish we could do this at the hospital......

Anything is possible!

Just start the discussions ... you are in the right place to have connections to get it started.
Plus, you're a quilter.

Perhaps you could make the first?
Or, perhaps you are part of a Guild that would do so?
Maybe they would take it on as a group project, as DebCavan's has?

You could always show them these threads and others on the subject here on the QB to help them understand the reasons, even better!

donita 08-03-2012 05:35 PM

My father was 91 when he passed. During those last years he was always cold due to circulation problems. My daughter made him a fleece blanket from "John Deere" fabric since he was a farmer all his life. This wonderful blanket kept him warm at home, when he came to live with me, in the nursing home, and during the many trips to the hospital. When his time of passing came we did not want the "body bag or sheet" to cover him during his final trip from the hospital. We chose the blanket that had kept him warm for such a long time, and that he had proudly told everyone his granddaughter made for him as his "passage quilt". The funeral home understood our wishes and cooperated fully. The blanket was ultimately returned to my daughter as a treasured keepsake.

JanTx 08-09-2012 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just sent an email to the funeral home director in our small town. I included a link to this thread and a picture of an in-progress quilt I think would be good for this purpose. I'll let you know what his reply is. Here's a pic of the one I think would be good to use. If he has no need of it I'm sure I'll find it a good home elsewhere.

QuiltE 08-10-2012 04:59 AM

JanTX ... it's going to be a perfect Passage Quilt. Not too flashy, so it will be a soft-looking cover for the deceased and provide comfort to the family/friends present. You might want to give him a link to some of the other threads on this subject.

Mr Funeral Director .. I hope you agree and accept JanTX's kind offer.

jemma 10-06-2012 08:48 PM

'little quilts of love' are made in south australia for the use of parents of still born or babies that have died soon after birth---these are held by the hospital so parents can have a small choice---approx 20x20 inches---some go with the babies some kept by the family

Nell Dwyer 10-07-2012 08:09 AM

Thank You for the beautiful idea-our daughter died at 38 years old last November and her ashes are in a blue Butterfly urn, I shall put butterflies now into my Passage quilt of her leftover clothing and her wedding dress also-thank you for your help.

dublb 10-08-2012 05:35 PM

Oh my, I had decided that I was goin' ta make quilts for the residents, at the living care facility that my DMIL is at. Right now there are only 5 residents there. I can easily make a quick strip quilt for each o' em by Christmas I think I'll tell the manager ta use 'em as 'nap quilts' while they are alive & 'Passage quilts' for when they die. I'll make more for any other residents that come ta live there. Thank you QE for this info.

Jammin' Jane 11-01-2012 12:00 PM

A passage quilt brings so much comfort!
Blessings to all who have made them! :)