Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Pineapple Block - Paper Pieced (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/pineapple-block-paper-pieced-t25357.html)

marks1009 09-11-2009 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK -- don't laugh -- this is my very first attempt at paper piecing, and my very first attempt at a 'real' quilt block, and my very first Pineapple block! I got the pattern online, reduced it to 6" square, raided the stash for old dress fabric, and started hacking! I cut really perfect little purple triangles, and long strips of white that I cut to fit as I went along. It took about an hour to finish.

It looks a little different from other pineapples I've seen -- wondering if the square corners formed by the white should be covered with the long sides of the purple triangles -- my pattern has them just meeting.

Anyway, I'm LIKIN' this paper piecing thing! This little block is probably the most perfect piece of sewing I've done in a LONG time, all because I was sewing on the lines on the paper, and pretty much ignoring the edges of the fabric! I think it really helped that my triangles were very precise, and the edges of the white strips were very clean. I just lined up points with centers, edges with the original squares, and it all seemed to fall into place!

I think I'll keep the paper on this little guy, and tack him to the design board to just enjoy!

Paper pieced pinapple #1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43229[/ATTACH]

KSCrafter 09-11-2009 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks great! I love paper-piecing too. The finished product is so precise and looks so much more difficult than it is to do!

(Check out this pineapple that I saw at a quilt show last weekend. Crazy, huh? Crazy beautiful!)

BlueChicken 09-11-2009 05:00 PM

I still have my very first paper pieced block up on my wall.... for the same reason! LOL I love the crisp clear lines and the pointy points, it's awesome.

Well done on your block, it looks great!

sewsewquilter 09-11-2009 05:11 PM

your block looks great!

wvdek 09-11-2009 05:26 PM

Well done on your paperpiecing. Your points are awsome.
I actually saw this done at a quilt show two weeks ago and she did 4" or 4 1/2" blocks. She eight fat quarters of bright marble colored fabric and was showing how to do this.
Well guess who went and got eight fat quarters of bright marbles and is going to try this after all my obligations to the board are done?
Thanks for your inspiration and perseverance.

Lisanne 09-11-2009 06:06 PM

Beautiful work! You made the square in a square that I've been having so much trouble with. Yours is perfect.

SharonC 09-11-2009 06:31 PM

Lovely PP. I like the way PP give you fantastic points and looks great, as does yours.

Iluv2quilt 09-11-2009 06:35 PM

Your pineapple is perfect! I really want to learn how to paper piece, any suggestions as to where to start? Thanks

Debbie1 09-11-2009 08:15 PM

It looks great. Everything looks perfect!

sharon b 09-11-2009 09:15 PM

WOW ! Great job looks wonderful :lol: Amma is teaching me how to paper piece via the computer ! Hope I can get as good as you :mrgreen: