Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Pink Cuddle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/pink-cuddle-t69488.html)

Yellow Bird 10-10-2010 08:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Earlier this summer Walmart had a free pattern for a quilt top and all the corresponding fabric to go with it. The pattern said it was for a beginner, so I decided to give it a try. I purchased all the fabric in the lengths stated.

Live & learn. One of the fabrics was a hounds-tooth pattern. The lady didn't take care when cutting the hounds-tooth and I didn't know enough to get extra to counter balance her sloppy cutting. (Or maybe whoever created the pattern should have included extra to accommodate the need to be exact with the hounds-tooth.)

Anyway - here is the end result. Aside from the fact that the hounds-tooth looks askew and one section didn't line up....I think I'm improving!

It was easy, but if I were a true beginner I would have been lost when it came to the borders and binding.

I chose a baby soft pink fleece for the backing.

Pink Cuddly
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95631[/ATTACH]

Pink Cuddly with fleece backing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95632[/ATTACH]

Mariposa 10-10-2010 08:06 PM

Cute!!

gcathie 10-10-2010 08:09 PM

very cute and sure is a cuddle quilt!....:-)

Fancy Nancy 10-10-2010 08:12 PM

i think it came out great! I have trouble with the Walmart clerks when they are cutting. Our Walmart uses scissors to cat and are not real accurate about measuring - I have to watch them close and always request 1/8 of a yard more than I need because of it - figure better to pay a little extra than to run short b/c of their ineptness. Last time the clerk was to busy talking to another clerk (chit chat stuff) and didn't listen to me and cut 1/2 yard instead of the 1 1/8 yard I requested and then acted like it was my fault and she was all put out about it. Well feel better now for venting - but your quilt does look wonderful! I have seen their free patterns there and have picked them up but have never used them.

SharonAnne 10-10-2010 09:33 PM

I love it. Such pretty colors and a great pattern. And I like the way the hounds tooth turned out on the border. Kind of gives the impression of movement. But I certainly agree with Fancy Nancy. Better to err on the side of caution. Beverlys and Jo-Ann are quite generous with their cutting and add a bit more for questionable "straightness" of fabric pattern, but WalMart, well, let's not go there.

Pickles 10-10-2010 09:39 PM

I think you did a wonderful job making it, it is so cute :D :thumbup:

Kitsapquilter 10-10-2010 10:06 PM

A cute quilt. Some little girl is going to love it even if the houndstooth is a little off. She won't care.
Having worked many years in a fabric store and quilt store, I can tell you when I go someplace to buy fabric if I am getting a plaid or check or something like that, I tell them to cut it in a single layer (not folded). I find that alot at JoAnn's. And they do not allow extra for straightening. They cut the exact amount you tell them. I used to allow about the width of my thumb on all fabric that I cut for a customer so they had a bit to straighten and still have their yardage. Most places don't do that now. Some quilt shops will though without being ask.

leiladylei54 10-10-2010 11:18 PM

Thank you for posting your finished quilt. I bought the same fabric to make one too and would have been frustrated had I not read about your trouble with the Houndstooth fabric. I will be careful to watch out when cutting my pieces.

Fayelh 10-10-2010 11:21 PM

I think you have done a great job. Love the pattern and fabric.

leatheflea 10-11-2010 01:53 AM

I have that pattern and fabric aslo. I think it turned out great. Looks like the picture to me! Wal mart gals arent the best cutters, I always ask for more than what I need, not for their mistakes but for mine! LOL