Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Please Help Date This Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/please-help-date-quilt-t103910.html)

Butterflyblue 02-28-2011 03:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I just went home to my mom and dad's for a visit, and my mom had a new quilt hanging on the wall. I asked where it came from, and she said she thought maybe my Great-grandmother made it, around the mid-fifties or earlier, maybe 40's. My mom got it when my great-uncle died (late 80's), and the quilts had been in the basement of his house for probably thirty years at that point. So anyone that knows anything about this particular quilt is likely dead, unless my grandmother remembers something. There were two other quilts and a top that my mom showed me that she got at the same time. The top is feedsack material, and looks to me like its from the 30's-40's or later. The other two quilts use white or solid colors.

But this quilt, I'm not sure it is from the 40's. I think it is older than that, but I'm not an expert. It is all small scale prints, and scrappy, as you can see. Some of the prints are double pinks, and some are indigos/white. I didn't have a good camera - these are cell phone pics, so I apologize that details are fuzzy.

Can anyone else give me guesses/information?

sueisallaboutquilts 02-28-2011 04:29 PM

Those fabrics look really old to me!
I'd say late 1800's.
Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!

Ramona Byrd 02-28-2011 04:47 PM

If there's a museum near you, perhaps you could get some ideas from them. And in return might talk your mom into lending it for display should they have a fabric section.

Butterflyblue 02-28-2011 05:18 PM

Well, I hadn't even thought of a museum. The ones really close are so small that I don't believe they'd have anyone who really knows about textiles - they're more just local history.

kateyb 02-28-2011 05:32 PM

Check a local library to see if they have books on quilt history. You might find some of the fabrics in one.
I agree with Susan I think they may be late 1800's also.

maryb119 02-28-2011 05:34 PM

[quote=sueisallaboutquilts]Those fabrics look really old to me!
I'd say late 1800's.
Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!

I agree about the possible date of the 1800's. The double pinks are a real give away for me. They are similar to the Civil war prints that are being used now.

Butterflyblue 02-28-2011 05:34 PM

I know the library I usually use does have books on quilt history - I read one some time ago, and that's why the term "double pink" lodged in my brain. But I won't be able to go for a couple of days to look.

Butterflyblue 02-28-2011 05:49 PM

Late 1800's? I wasn't thinking that old, I was just thinking, 1910 or so. But its just a hunch, based on vaguely remembered things I read in that library book.

snicker dee 02-28-2011 08:56 PM

Very nice

snicker dee 02-28-2011 08:56 PM

Very nice