Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Portrait quilt - How would you quilt this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/portrait-quilt-how-would-you-quilt-t218629.html)

Helen S 04-08-2013 06:49 PM

Portrait quilt - How would you quilt this?

2 Attachment(s)
I was working off this photo:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]406918[/ATTACH]

To make this wall quilt:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]406917[/ATTACH]

Using PhotoShop, I selected the area from the original photo that I wanted to use in the quilt, then printed it very lightly onto my fabric using grayscale, black ink only. The result was very faint. I then used Derwent Inktense pencils and a couple of different paint brushes to achieve the shading results. It's not exactly like the photo image, but I think it turned out satisfactory. This was my brother-in-law of 52 years, my oldest sisters husband, who passed away a few weeks ago.

My question is simply this: How would you quilt this? I was thinking to do a little bit of quilting on the tree areas, but as I began to do so I realized I'd have to be tying off the threads after nearly every tree/shrub! Now I'm thinking I might spend some evenings doing it by hand, but have never tried hand quilting before so it would be something new for me. I guess I'm up to the challenge. lol

I think I'd probably do something very simple, such as SID around the inner and outer borders, and maybe small stippling in the sky area?

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated!
Thanks for looking

Helen

Sewfine 04-08-2013 07:43 PM

I am just a beginner, but that is really neat. I love it. In the quilt his eyes looks a little on the redish brown side. All in all fabulous. Go for it.

Anniedeb 04-08-2013 08:25 PM

I can't offer quilting help, but you did a wonderful job! I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated!

SewExtremeSeams 04-08-2013 08:58 PM

You have done such a great job so far. Can't wait till you have it completed.

On your background what about using a variegated thread that would more or less blend in especially in the shrubbery. As far as your brother-in-law's portrait you would need to study it and also how others have done it.

mary quilting 04-09-2013 12:44 AM

What ever you do it will look fantastic.

debcavan 04-09-2013 01:18 AM

It is pretty awesome. I have seen people follow the contours of the face. I have also seen micro stippling on faces so that it is an even texture throughout. Also I have seen small scribbles to get the texture. You pretty well cover the whole face with thread.

I hope you will post it when it is finished. What a treasure you are making.

Babs194068 04-09-2013 03:09 AM

Wonderful job. Can't help with the quilting.

MamaBear61 04-09-2013 04:08 AM

Your quilt looks great so far. I am not much help on the quilting but I would suggest that you start out minimally (SID) and then see what it "needs". I am sure that you will "see" it as you go.

Quiltngolfer 04-09-2013 04:35 AM

Wow, that is amazing! You did a wonderful job.

gabeway 04-09-2013 04:45 AM

You've done a fantastic job! Definitely hand stitching would be the best. You could highlight edging in shirt as well. Let us see how you did it when done!